Painting a composite door

My front door, a black composite door has began to fade and it's only 5 years old. What paint is best to use? I asked a builder and he said wood gloss was not the answer.

Reply to
Paul Pot

I believe acrylic based paints are best used on uPVC. This website has some advice about painting a door but is only recommending one particular product.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Plenty of Youtube videos

Example - restoring a black door

and 18 months later

Just one method of many shown on Youtube

Reply to
alan_m

I tried some acrylic paint once and it sort of went spongy in the damp. However the problem with painting plastic surfaces seems to be twofold. It can go or stay slightly stick, or depending on colour crack and peel quite fast. I did have some success covering an area of discoloured material with car spray paint, but colour matching was a pain. The beauty of me now being sightless is that I never notice any more!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Black doors are a bit of a pain if they are in a place where the sun shines a lot. If you want them to be black then paint seems to crack off no matter how well you do it, its happening on some of my wood window sills now after only a few years. I did wonder if you might be able to get that paint the military use, solar heat resistant, some kind of two part product. It was often used for outside structures which are hard to get at. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff
  • Vote on answer
  • posted

Thanks Alan.

Reply to
The Genetically Unmodified Paul Pot "(Still" a natural human being as God "created
  • Vote on answer
  • posted

Thanks for the advice Richard.

Reply to
The Genetically Unmodified Paul Pot "(Still" a natural human being as God "created

Having it sprayed with 2-pack paint intended for car refinishing might be the only for a South facing black door to retain its colour.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew