Paint Tin Problems

I'm sure most on here have had this problem . You buy a can of paint ,you open it ,stir the paint and use it . You then replace the lid and ,if necessary,tap it down to secure it . Some time later you need to use it again so prise the lid off . What happens ? Pieces of dried paint flick in to the paint and on the floor .Now the ones on the floor are not a problem but how do you avoid getting bits in to the paint ? Is there an answer?

Reply to
NOSPAMnet

Store the paint tin upside-down.

Edward

Reply to
teddysnips

This is caused by the paint around the top drying out slowly due to imperfect lid seal. Store the tin upside down.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

What he said. We've been doing this for several years now, and the paint lasts a great deal better.

Reply to
Huge

clean around the lis and top of the tin before it dries then re seal bob

Reply to
Burbeck

Especially if you resist the temptation to open it. Saves a fortune.

Reply to
Steve Firth

That sounds a good idea .....and wash the lid to get rid of any paint that has already dried .

Reply to
NOSPAMnet

Oh, I have a man (*) for that.

(* Well, a lady.)

Reply to
Huge

what would you do with a half full tin of paint which unfortunately contains bits of dried paint that have fallen in each time the lid has been opened/shut?

every time i use it i get little 'bits' in the finish and its annoying... would you dump it and buy a new pot?

Reply to
benpost

(a) yes

or

(b) strain it through your old nylon tights.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Maybe. But I might get some suitable material and filter it into a clean container. Depending on a) cost of paint; b) amount left; c) availability of suitable thinning agent (usually a good idea to thin the paint slightly before filtering); d) ease of getting replacement paint; ...; z) which way the wind is blowing.

Suitable material includes tights for many types of paint.

Reply to
Rod

I remembered my kitchen metal sieve has a bit broken on it, so I thought why not use that then throw it away and get a new sieve? Anyway did that and its worked well, most of the bits did not go through, i've noticed a couple of dust size bits but thats nothing compared to before so I can make use of the paint. Just painting about

6 bits of skirting board before fitting them. Its the interior water based wood paint i was talking about before. Will have to remember to either clean the pot before closing it or store it upside down in the future..
Reply to
benpost