Paint Tin Problems

I'm sure most on here have had this problem . You buy a can of paint ,you open it ,stir the paint and use it . You then replace the lid and ,if necessary,tap it down to secure it . Some time later you need to use it again so prise the lid off . What happens ? Pieces of dried paint flick in to the paint and on the floor .Now the ones on the floor are not a problem but how do you avoid getting bits in to the paint ? Is there an answer?
On 7 Oct, 13:49, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Store the paint tin upside-down.
Edward

What he said. We've been doing this for several years now, and the paint lasts a great deal better.

Especially if you resist the temptation to open it. Saves a fortune.

Oh, I have a man (*) for that.
(* Well, a lady.)
what would you do with a half full tin of paint which unfortunately contains bits of dried paint that have fallen in each time the lid has been opened/shut?
every time i use it i get little 'bits' in the finish and its annoying... would you dump it and buy a new pot?

(a) yes
or
(b) strain it through your old nylon tights.
benpost wrote:

Maybe. But I might get some suitable material and filter it into a clean container. Depending on a) cost of paint; b) amount left; c) availability of suitable thinning agent (usually a good idea to thin the paint slightly before filtering); d) ease of getting replacement paint; ...; z) which way the wind is blowing.
Suitable material includes tights for many types of paint.
--
Rod

I remembered my kitchen metal sieve has a bit broken on it, so I thought why not use that then throw it away and get a new sieve? Anyway did that and its worked well, most of the bits did not go through, i've noticed a couple of dust size bits but thats nothing compared to before so I can make use of the paint. Just painting about 6 bits of skirting board before fitting them. Its the interior water based wood paint i was talking about before. Will have to remember to either clean the pot before closing it or store it upside down in the future..
     snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes:

This is caused by the paint around the top drying out slowly due to imperfect lid seal. Store the tin upside down.
--
Andrew Gabriel

clean around the lis and top of the tin before it dries then re seal bob

That sounds a good idea .....and wash the lid to get rid of any paint that has already dried .