paint problem

I'm repainting woodwork inside a 1928 house. Some of the interior white gloss is certainly more than 35 years old, possibly much more. I'm stripping it in case there's lead in the paint. Some of the gloss white paint does not soften with a hot air gun, nor Paint Panther chemical stripper. Any suggestions to get it off? Or shall I just sand it and take my chance on the lead.

an old fashioned blow lamp (aka cordless hot-air gun)
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
On 20/10/2018 12:37, charles wrote:

He said the paint doesn't soften with a hot air gun. That seems wrong to me (although I agree that a decent blow-lamp, or (easier) a propane torch, should do it).
My hot air gun has a restrictor nozzle to get the temperature up. Don't think I have ever needed it, though.
Mike wrote:

If you were not English,something with a goodly proportion of methylene chloride in it.
On Saturday, 20 October 2018 12:23:54 UTC+1, Mike wrote:

if it doesn't want to come off, leave it on! Consider yourself lucky.
Sanding lead is, er, not smart. Burning it off indoors ditto.
NT

I don't think you are going to get volatile organic lead compounds from using heat to soften it. And certainly less airborne dust than from sanding.