Paint peeling from filled areas

Hi

I recently repainted the walls of my living room but I'm having trouble with the new paint coming off in areas where there used to be a freeze.

Before repainting I removed the freeze and in places some of the paint below came with it, exposing bare plasterboard below. I assume the wallpaper paste used to fix the freeze loosened the paint, leading to it coming off when I removed the freeze.

In the areas where the paint had come away, I knocked off any surrounding loose paint, filled the area with polyfilla, sanded it smooth and then painted. It's these areas that I am now losing the new paint; it cracks and just peels off the wall. The polyfilla stays on the wall. The areas were fully dry before painting.

What can I do to remedy this? I've read about sealing plasterboard with a watered-down PVA mix; is that appropriate? Alternatively, are there any fillers designed to be directly applied to plasterboard? The affected areas are quite small, no more than a square foot or two in total.

Thanks for any help.

Cheers,

Mark

Reply to