Paint Cracking/Crazing

Hi Guys. My Son is decorating our front room for us.

Stripped wall paper. Filled and sanded. Washed down with Sugar Soap. Put on a thinned coat of white vinyl matt. Put on a coat of vinyl matt finish coat. This coat has dried leaving cracks and crazing, even worst where he cut in with a brush. What caused this? paint not thinned enough??

Baz

Reply to
Baz

What was the paint thinned with??

Reply to
EricP

Draught H2O

Reply to
Baz

Brush not been cleaned properly? Bad paint batch? Paint not stirred sufficiantly?

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

There's still wallpaper paste on the wall. Very careful work with a low-quality scouring pad (the sort that doesn't help with the washing up very much!), to avoid scratching the plaster, with lots of clean warm water will get it off, but you've got to get the wall *clean* - if you slide your hand over the wet surface, and the wall feels slippery (even in patches) then there's more work to do. You could line it, and then paint on that.... however, I prefer paint on plaster!

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Weird then. Like Ben is wandering around, oil contamination seems suggested. I got this from a large brush that had been used for gloss/white spirit and not degreased enough before use for water paints.

Reply to
EricP

What caused this? paint not thinned enough??

The Sugar Soap has soaked into the plaster; your best course is to line the walls. Sugar Soap must always be thoroughly rinsed off whenever it's used.

Reply to
Mr Fuxit

With Dulux I've had this happen on well prepared surfaces. Try a light rub down followed by a slightly thinnned coat, or switch to Crown, which is not as thick.

Reply to
Stuart Noble