Packing in toilet waste pipe

I've removed the toilet from the downstairs cloakroom and found the gap between the toilet waste pipe and the glazed pipe in the floor into which it was inserted packed with thin rope/thick string with a thin layer of mortar on top.

Anyone care to tell me what the rope/string is called?

Do I need to replace it when I fit the new toilet, or is there a more 'modern' way to pack the joint?

TIA.

It's called gaskin and as far as I'm aware, you can't get it anymore, it's merely a filler, used to prevent ingress of pointing material into the pipe, you can make your own of course, simply by taking some sacking material and soaking it in oil, or failing that, just use the greaseband known as silglass, most plumbers merchants sell it

Reply to
Phil L

Good to know - thanks.

I'll look for some...

In message , F writes

I got a rubbery plastic seal to do the job, a bit like this:

(mind the wrap)

only waste pipe size.

Couldn't find the right thing in the Screwfix catalogue though, think I got it from B&Q or Plumb Center (sic). Thinking about it I may have bought a waste extender fitting that included the seal and just used the seal from it, it's a number of years back now, so don't recall clearly.

Reply to
bof

Got something like that on the adaptor I'm using so might just top it off with mortar.

It's been fine here without mortar for about 10 years.

Reply to
bof

Try

the rubbery bit off the connector and put it on the pan spigot and force it in the socket using some Washing Up Liquid.

Reply to
Bookworm

So nothing on top - just the seal?

That would leave a gap around the plastic waste pipe where it enters the wider top of the glazed soil pipe.

Fill the gap with silicone perhaps?

Nope, nothing between the plastic waste pipe and the glazed soil pipe /with the exception of the plastic/rubbery seal mentioned in my original post/ . The seal does what its name suggests.

Reply to
bof