P A T Testing ?

Heavy, aren't they?......

Reply to
Bill

My last employer (big dumb IT corporate) just couldn't get its head round that idea. We wanted someone (and we even had a PFY who'd be perfect) who was permanently on-site and could handle ad hoc PAT as it came up. Instead we signed up a ridiculous per-plugtop deal with a tester based at head office's hometown, who might show up every few months. Then everything had to be dismantled and made ready for them beforehand, usually involving half the office being without a computer for a day or even longer.

They also insisted that every PC and its cable had to be paired for testing, which meant massive disorganisation as everything was unplugged from desks and cableways, then carried across the office to be piled up ready. Stupid.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

+1

A lot of the lads on mine were discussing the best testers, ranging from a "pass/fail" to a full on proper PC linkable unit.

If the instructor turns up with a hand cranked Megger and a box of wire wound rheostats, muttering something about Wheatstone bridges, run away!

Reply to
Tim Watts

That's one.

There is another, that I guarantee *everyone* here over the age of about 30- mumble years, has had their hands on, when they were a kid...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Xmas lights?

Extremely dodgy model train controller? (might be class 01)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Ah ah.

You also win a prize sir.

The definition of Class 0 is "basic insulation only" as opposed to double insulation, reinforced insulation or parts in a class 1 enclosure. Fairy lights were a common example of the era, though it did actually tak ethe bloke a while to come up with that.

My fault... The book mentioned Class 0 but didn't really describe it - so I asked.

If you look at modern fairy lights, they are in fact double insulated even though the flex looks much for much the same.

Oh - how we nearly all died :-0

Possibly... Mine had a sheathed flex.

Reply to
Tim Watts

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Owain saying something like:

Class 00 surely?

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

HO HO

Reply to
polygonum

O dear.

Reply to
dennis

Andrew Gabriel wrote: [snip]

Just wondering if your credit card has a PIN number?

Reply to
Steve Firth

Or your multimeter has an AC current range? :-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

"The traffic in London is B**** awful" serves me. Then there's the "two pints and you're banned" one... I use trains several times a year.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

it's what happens if the earth pin isn't fully N-gauged.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Same here, particularly for trips into London. Last time I drove into London was to get some stuff from Tim Watts...a nightmare what with all the diversions due to road works!

Reply to
Bob Eager

For use in an ATM machine?

Reply to