Overpainting metral bed frame

I have a black metal bedframe a lot like this one

In my new house it really needs to be white.

How do I need to prepare the surface to achieve that

and then when I've done that, do I just spray it with paint from a spray can?

I don't want to spend too long on this project, it's just the guest's bedroom

TIA

tim

Reply to
tim...

unfortunately not, no

I'm just going to have to spray it with the windows open and then leave the flat empty for 3 days - I'm not living in it yet

this frame bed, and a couple of chairs are the only pieces of furniture I have moved in

Reply to
tim...

no problem, room will be completely redone afterwards

I'll have to do it twice in order to do the bit that standing on the floor

tim

Reply to
tim...

Strangely this might actually be a real job for Hammertoe though. I used to find it was good at covering up dark colours. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Of course with a hammertoe if its nicely dimpled it tends to disguise the runs. I'm not a fan of spraying such things myself, often painting it normally seems to work well enough, or did when I could see. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

You could just ilghtly sand it and maybe degrease, but do realise the original coating is generally a baked on powder coat, much tougher than any paint. And scratches of black on white won't exactly look good. You'd be better off leaving it black really.

If spraying, it will get onto everything.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Wash it with sugar soap and brush paint it with Hammerite Smooth or cheap equivalent, and don't expect it to look brilliant. I'd just leave it black, nobody's going to care really, and you've probably got more pressing things to do. Or take it to your friendly local powder-coater.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Key it a bit with wet & dry, degrease with a solvent (white spirit or meths), when dry paint. I'd think you'll need an undercoat to go from black to white especially spraying (outside or garage/shed i hope ;-) )

Reply to
Jim K..

Ah ok, plenty cardboard,wallpaper, old sheets whatever to catch the overspray then :-)

I think it'll take more than one coat, don't be tempted to spray more on "thicker" in one go as you'll end up with runs & it'll look s**te, or you'll have to sand the runs back and do it again (slower!)

Reply to
Jim K..