Outside toilet!

Difficult on an outward opening one. A bolt or hook on the inside, more like.

Reply to
<me9

Yes, I remember a house (flats?) where ther was a row of about 5 outside facilities each with it's own lock. Fine if you werent caught short, and couldnt find thekey.

Reply to
<me9

Put the word "privies" into Amazon's search engine.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

That type of candleholder is called a chamberstick. Honestly.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

You kept the key on a hook behind the door into the street. Everyone did. We weren't daft!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I was trying to think of the name, I couldn't remember it.

Reply to
<me9

Why would anyone doubt that?

Reply to
Rob Morley

They might have thought I was making it up to match the subject of the thread.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

there's an untouched one next door to our house. it might even be an original 1905 installation. it's certainly pre war, possibly 1st

RT

Reply to
news

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

well, obviously, someone touched it, prolly with their bum.

the old lady who lived in the house went mad and had to be carted off. she had an indoor bathroom but continued to use the outside lav, for convenience, probably. there's 4 or 5 outdoor loos in the houses either side of us, all with recently deceased owners who'd lived there for 60 odd years. in a row of 8 townhouses we're the only ones to convert the coal hole and outdoor lav into a utility room.

RT

Reply to
news

methinks shes had practice ;)

NT

Reply to
bigcat

I've been the subject of observation -when it mattered to me :-(

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher