Outside light problem

I have a series of 8 mains voltage outside bulkhead type lights. (fixed under the soffits).

One stopped working so i duly had the cover off and replaced the lamp. The light did not come on. Tested the lamp in another source and it works OK, so not that.

I changed the lamp holder and tried again, still not working.

I have tested with my multimeter and get approx 240v at the lampholder, so not a broken neutral.

All the other 7 lights are working OK.

Any suggestions/solutions to try?

Reply to
Jack Harry Teesdale

Isolate the circuit, then check for continuity between the broken one and a good one, on both L&N individually. Are they looped in and out? A multimeter might still show 240v with a slightly iffy connection.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

I bet that 240V drops almost to zero when there's a load (such as a bulb).

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Corrosion on a contact or junction

Reply to
nothanks

I've found that modern bulbs sometimes have contacts that are not as tall, so when inserted they don't reach the ones in the socket.

Reply to
Dave W

That was my thought, perhaps a poor connection through corrosion.

Reply to
Fredxx

Is this voltage there when the bulb that is good is in? I'd suspect not. Then its just a case of looking backwards to find where it goes away. Rodent damage perhaps? Loose Connection block somewhere?. If that does turn out to be the case, check any others to save time later on.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Yes , but this one had been working fine had it not? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

What bulb connector type is it? i.e. MR16? SBC? BC? GU10? ES? SES?

Reply to
SH

BC and i've tried several 'good' bulbs of differing wattages but no light!

I'll be checking for circuit continuity today.

Reply to
Jack Harry Teesdale

Previously, yes and the same bulb still works in a different fitting.

It's looking like the problem is with the circuit continuity to the fitting.

Reply to
Jack Harry Teesdale

Aha....... I think I know what the problem is.......

The BC pins in the bulb holder are spring loaded and comprises of a top cylinder sitting within a slightly larger bottom cylinder.

When you insert a bulb, the two cylinders are then compressed and is under spring tension.

Sometimes the two cylinders on one of the pins corrode and stick in a closed position. So when you insert a bulb, the stick pin no longer touches the bottom of the bulb but there is 220V present on the pins itself.

Turn the power off and and try working loose the stuck pin, and lubricate with WD40 or replace with a new BC fitting.

BC pin corrosion is common in outdoor light fittings.... :-)

S.

Reply to
SH

Thanks but i've already fitted a brand new lamp holder (as mentioned in my original post) but the light still doesn't work.

I think it's a circuit continuity problem which i am checking.

Reply to
Jack Harry Teesdale

have you checked the pins of the new lamp holder AND also the two captive catches on the circuference? occasionally one side chips off resulting in the bulb leaning at an angle in the holder being held by only one side pin instead of both pins.

You could also create a dummy load tester by copnnecting a pair of test leads to a knwon good bulb holder and known good bulb.

Test this on a known good lamp holder and then text sgain on the lamp holder you wish to test.

Reply to
SH

Done all that thanks.

Reply to
Jack Harry Teesdale

I couldn't find what the fault was so i bypassed that section of cable and hey presto the light is now working again.

Thanks to all for your suggestions.

Jack Harry

Reply to
Jack Harry Teesdale