Other mans junk is another...

message

In which case sadly it will probably be too late. Having signed contracts on the house sale we are now just argy-barging about the completion date. If it all actually happens this time and we exchange contracts (fallen through thrice before) we will be in deepest East - Sussex with the newel post left behind in the cellar!

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Sliced in half they can look quite impressive on the front of a (very large) bookcase. Similarly, spindles on a smaller scale. Are you related to Peter Mawson of Bromley Youth Band fame?

Reply to
Stuart Noble

EBay is a pretty efficient way to recycle, especially with the

Reply to
Stuart Noble

On 6 Sep, 14:35, "Andrew Mawson"

Seems to me like a case study in why not to horde useless crap - pulled it out of the neighbour's skip, can't use it, can't give it away, end up leaving it behind for the next lot to put in a different skip.

Reply to
Anita Palley

Not knowlingly, but know of him

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

exchange

different

Having a bad day Anita ???

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Can't speak for Anita but I rest my case (which is similar to Anita's) with regard to the newel post!

Reply to
Bob Mannix

She is right though,if you havn't used it then it is just 'hoarding',ain't that the purpose of retrieving stuff out of a skip? :-)

Reply to
George

NONO! Take it with you and I'll get a friend to collect it for me!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

message

yours

exchange

Perhaps Anita and Bob could collect and take it to you, see what they're missing and realise that they're Philistines !

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

A big hole in their bank balance.

Reply to
George

I've only ever used freecycle once, to try and lose an old wardrobe (stripped 1930s one, in good nick) - not even a single enquiry, despite two posts several weeks apart.

David

Reply to
Lobster

I had a number of these stripped down in my utility room because the wood was solid oak and reusable for shelving, one was even made of walnut. Just a matter of sanding down to bare wood.

Reply to
George

You've been very unlucky then - I've got lots of things[1], and given away lots of things[2] on Freecycle.

Keep at it - don't give up!

[1] Bicycle, exercise bike, kitchen wall cupboards for garage, 6' metal storage rack for garage, calor gas heater for garage, fax machine, carpets for garage attic etc., etc. [2] Outboard engine, boat-carrying rack, walking boots, wicker chair, roof rack, car ramps, vertical drill stand, to name but a few.
Reply to
Roger Mills

On Sep 6, 8:22 am, "Bob Mannix" wrote: !

. Keep it for 14 years. No use for it. Throw it out and guaranteed that someone will need it within sevral weeks.

Reply to
terry

Don't know if it's my mid 1930s British birth or what! Maybe it's genetic or inbred into a generation that went through WWII and postwar rationing etc. But I feel right at home reading this thread, near St. John's Newfoundland (Newfoundland rhymes with understand btw).

Yes our society, this one getting a little mor affluent in recent years, now throws away stuff that we would have recycled by keeping and reusing it no more than 30 years ago! We used to fix our shoes; remember that? Older Newfoundlanders know exactly "Where I'm at" as they say here. Back a generation or so most Newfoundlanders could build their own house, barn, fishing wharf etc. Nowadays many work in the oil patch out western Canada and drive bejasus big crew cab pickups with $20,000 ATVs (all terrain vehicles) in the back!

As consequence of gleaning and picking up (What was it Dickens called them "Unconsidered trifles"?) we have a basement and yard full of projects (i.e. junk) that's too good to throw away! Yesterday I built a small lean-to for some auto items that my son wants kept, entirely from used wood/lumber. (Well I did use a about a dozen new screws but all the nails were used ones!). Only cost was the time involved; but didn't have to leave the premises, go to lumber yard or anything. So it was a productive afternoon.

And guess who everyone in this area comes to when they are trying to repair something. As in; .... "You wouldn't happen to have a ........... about this long and ....... ". Quite often do have it or can suggest a good used cheap source.

I have a neighbour whose SWMBO is a clean/tidy freak. He is always complaining about stuff thrown out! He can't find a complete set of spare brake parts (Worth around $150) for his transport truck for example.

Standard greeting/question every time he comes looking for something is; "Wife threw it out?".

Regards. Terry

Reply to
terry

Perhaps he should tell her he's following her example - and throw her out.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

It is being a newel post. Just a spare newel post...

Reply to
Doki

We still do :-)

I'm always amazed to think that you can BUY sheds!

Guess who it is here! Spouse is known as The Saviour of Chapeltown :-)

And he stays married?

Nice to hear from you,

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Indeed. You never know when one will fail.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher