OT: Windows 2000 Pro to XP Pro upgrade without having to reinstall applications?

I'm obviously imagining this machine being dual-boot with W7, then.

Oh, wait. Sorry. I forgot - the W7 partition died last time I upgraded the drive, and I CBA to resuscitate it, since I never used it anyway.

Reply to
Adrian

Speed wise probably, the issue with some older machines though is memory. 1GB in XP is usable for basic stuff, but its not really enough for Win 7/8

Reply to
John Rumm

... bunch of kids, wet behind the ears!

Honestly, they have the world at their feet, given that the only other viable OS are Windows or Mac, and what have they achieved after 15 years of buggering about? Totally amateurish systems. I expect they have meetings to discuss important stuff like whether to call it Saucy Salamander... MM

Reply to
MM

Nonsense. As I upgrade my PC to XP, I grab a plethora of install disks (CDs, floppies) and everything.just.works. You cannot say that about Linux. It's all hit and miss. Some of the packages (when I was playing with Ubuntu) worked, others did not. And with Windows, if anything raises a question, well, then, there's the internet with its one billion questions and answers about it.

I have well over 100 books on programming (VB, C, C++ Assembler, ADO, SQL, MySQL, Sqlite etc etc), yet I never need to open any nowadays, since a quick Google gives me the answer immediately, often with sample code I can copy and paste. That ain't the case with Linux. Because it's installed on so few computers, there just isn't the wealth of experience as there is with Windows.

It was probably more like they got depressed when they saw what a professional operating system looked like!

The only situation in which I would reconsider Linux would be in an embedded system in a gizmo of some kind, I dunno, Arduino-type gizmos, perhaps, where there's no user interface needed and it just runs. For that kind of application Linux probably excels. So for example, imagine I'd got a tiny "PC" about the size of a box of Swan Vestas and it just warns when someone leaves the kitchen without switching off the stove. That kind of app. But you could achieve that with a Basic Stamp anyway.

MM

Reply to
MM

Both my PCs I build 5 years ago with identical hardware, an Abit mobo for £30 from Misco, RAM, AMD Sempron, and Windows 98SE. I'm upgrading one to XP and the other I already upgraded to Win7 (the £170 purchase I spoke about earlier in this thread). Win7 works fine on the 5-yo mobo, no probs. Okay, so I'm not playing any computer games (never have), but for everyday use, it's plenty fast enough. The only times when I've really felt the need for a super-fast PC is when I'm mucking about with movies, e.g. converting from one format to another. That takes hours sometimes, whereas I'm sure that a quadcore superfast SOTA CPU would get it done in 20 minutes.

The only hardware enhancement right now is my first graphics card! And only because I bought a 24" BenQ monitor last week and established that the mobo's onboard graphics won't support its max res of 1920 x

1080. My ancient mobo has an unused AGP slot, so I'm going to whack a Club3D Radeon in it (£37 from Amazon), waiting for delivery. Should be here Monday or Tuesday, yippee! My 19" CRT Hansol was getting a pain when one has several windows open, e.g. Netobjects Fusion, VB etc.

MM

Reply to
MM

Absolutely. The thing that worked for me and my 5-yo mobo was RAM, more RAM and still more RAM! And the old mobo only supports up to 2GB anyway, which is a paltry amount these days. But going from 1 to 2GB made XP fly.

MM

Reply to
MM

I certainly do agree about their restrictive licensing. They were never satisfied with one arm, they always wanted an arm and a leg, and then the other leg too (so they grudgingly left you one arm to get about, do some typing, and pop to the bathroom).

MM

Reply to
MM

Latest update: I gave up on upgrading and have installed XP on a clean drive. Reinstallation of all the software is taking forever, as I knew it would, but I'm retired so it's not like I don't have the time!

MM

Reply to
MM

No surprise. Why not install software as and when you need it or one a day. Most of us have too many unused programs that only slow down those we do need.

Reply to
Eric

Unused programs merely use up disk space.

Of course if there are programs that are being used, but are not doing anything useful, that's another matter. Windows itself may well be one such.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Dunno how helpful it would be, but there's a program out there called, "Nin ite" (free), which seems to let you list a lot of apps for simple re-instal l after a rebuild. I don't need it so haven't read the howto, although I've come across several folk who swear by it. Or at it, not certain which, but it might be worth a look.

Reply to
greyridersalso

Not if they're like LibreOffice or Microsoft Office and install a "Quickstart" feature that takes possession of a fair amount of RAM and uses processor cycles to maintain its status. Or the program that came with a new camera, which I need to read its RAW file format, but insists on installing a tray icon to just hang around waiting for the moment I connect the camera.

There are a lot of those, even under Linux.

Reply to
John Williamson

MM wrote: [snip]

Because you are retired and out of date.

Bwhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Please someone, make him stop, he's embarrassing himself.

Reply to
Steve Firth

MM wrote: [Ubuntu]

Running a business that makes more money than you can dream of, by giving away a free operating system.

Total dominance where it matters. Cheap computing for countries that can't afford to pay Microsoft prices, a generation if young people growing up with real skills in computing rather than as button pressing monkeys.

In the wider world it is Linux that dominates professional computing whether it is Enterprise distributions or embedded Linux systems at the heart of moving the data around, scanning it for malware, ensuring secure file transfer or just erecting big "piss off spammer" signs on the information super highway.

All your comment reveals is your amateurism and the profound depths of your ignorance.

Back to Windows 8 are we? Or indeed any flavour of Windows.

Yes it's already been established that "fun" is not a recognised commodity in your world and that your computing skills are at some sort of nadir since you can only cope with Windows, some broken version of Pascal and being spoon-fed GUI elements by a big corporation.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Worth installing

Eric

Ooh, I think I might unkillfile him for the laughs.

(Why *do* people think that the only computers in the world are MS desktops?)

Reply to
Huge

"Ninite" (free), which seems to let you list a lot of apps for simple re-install after a rebuild. I don't need it so haven't read the howto, although I've come across several folk who swear by it. Or at it, not certain which, but it might be worth a look.

=====

Belarc Advisor will do that without going through a 3rd party.

Reply to
Eric

Hover on Dock icon -> right mouse -> Options -> Remove from Dock. Simples.

Used to be you could just drag icon from Dock and then drop it but that was too easily done by accident.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Ah, another solution for a non-problem.

Reply to
Tim Streater

libre office here doesn't have any resident crap My raw camera stuff is a plugin to the Gimp. Microsoft office doesn't exist for linux either.

I've got 158 actual processes running, including te one I am using to look for em :-) And since there is plenty of RAM and I just rebooted after clearing te bugs and dirt out of te server, all are in RAM 1.2GB worg=h.

#so there nearly three hanging around empty.

Patently you have the wrong operating system.:-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher