OT: Windows 2000 Pro to XP Pro upgrade without having to reinstall applications?

If I upgrade from Win 2K Pro to XP Pro, will all my installed apps, printer driver etc etc be intact after the upgrade, or will there typically be loads of "holes" everywhere, demanding a reinstallation of key packages, e.g. Visual Basic, Word, Excel etc.
It's this reinstallation I'm desperate to avoid if at all possible. When I went from Win 98 to Win 2K, doing a clean install, the reinstallation of the apps took days, half of which was spent collating all the installation disks.
By the way I will make a TrueImage backup image of the entire disk before starting the upgrade process.
Thanks for any tips in this regard.
MM

I would jump a decade and start again with Windows 7 and re-install everything while you still can. (Don't jump to Windows 8 because that is daft).
On Thu, 13 Jun 2013 16:21:37 +0100, "Geoff Pearson"

Can't afford Windows 7 twice. Just paid £170 last week for one bona fide Win 7 Ultimate from MS. Anyway, XP is all I need for everyday word processing, and VB6 can be a bit "iffy"under Win7.
MM
On 13/06/2013 16:48, MM wrote:

Win 8 is win 7 and is cheaper.
You can download the latest (or older) VB for free as long as you aren't doing really difficult stuff. http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/eng/downloads#d-2012-express

And is a pile of cack..

--
Tony Sayer

On 13/06/2013 23:36, tony sayer wrote:

Windows 8 Pro, plus a free download of Classic Start Menu gives you an up to date operating system that looks like whichever version of Windows you choose. I got two copies of Win 8 when they were £25 a piece before the end of January and both have been running very well - one on a fairly modern PC and the other on a somewhat older one.
SteveW

Why daft?
--
Simon

12) The Second Rule of Expectations
On Thu, 13 Jun 2013 18:04:48 +0100, "postmaster @ stejonda"

I wouldn't touch Win8 with a bargepole from what *I've* seen of it. Bloody awful PoS.
MM
On Thu, 13 Jun 2013 18:18:01 +0100 Mm wrote :

A case of the lunatics taking over the asylum. I upgraded my laptop to have a Win8 machine for testing and could not quite believe how bad it is. One example: rather than include Acrobat Viewer they have written their own. OK but if there's way to print the PDF you're looking at (just the sort of thing you might want to do if someone sends you a PDF email attachment) I can't find it. For all the jokes in the past as to why you press the Start button to stop your computer, at least there was a pretty obvious way of doing so. Not in Win8
And, yes, I know there are various third party offerings to 'fix' Win8 but a good few users of my software will use it as it comes so I have to feel their pain :)
Melbourne, Australia www.greentram.com
On Friday, June 14, 2013 1:20:19 AM UTC+1, Tony Bryer wrote:

I'm a Mac user, but someone that works on PCs and has put W8 on a 5 year old laptop and finding it runs better under W8 than W7 once you remove the tiles features and get it back to more like clasic windows install this.
http://www.iobit.com/iobitstartmenu8.php

As a windows user aren't you expected to have and feel more panes ;-)
Tony Bryer put finger to keyboard:

Control-P?
On 14/06/2013 01:20, Tony Bryer wrote:

Acrobat has never been included in windows, its a product of Adobe. Until recently it was patented and you couldn't include anything for reading PDFs.

Maybe the win 8.1 update will fix it? It will at the least allow to option to go straight to the desktop.

Just include an option to install one of the solutions.
On Fri, 14 Jun 2013 19:13:00 +0100, "dennis@home"

Adobe published the format around twenty years ago and it's been an ISO standard for nearly five years.
On 14/06/2013 19:13, dennis@home wrote:

I rather suspect you mean Adobe Reader.
Which, even though the rights are owned by Adobe, is available to be distributed by filling in a simple license agreement:
https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=distribution_form&pv=rdr
--
Rod

MM put finger to keyboard:

Most apps will be fine. Device drivers are the most likely things to need reinstallation. If you've got an image then what's the worst that can happen?
Oh, and welcome to the 21st century :-)

I only believe in upgrading when it's absolutely necessary, and now even I have to admit that W2K is old old old. Not much of the latest software runs on it, either at all or only flakily. But I use XP SP3 all the time for everyday use and it's absolutely fine.
Sure, an image can be a lifesaver, and the worst that can happen is that I have to wipe the drive and start with a clean install of XP, but as I said, reinstalling all the apps takes ruddy forever, as I did it once already when "upgrading" from Win 98. Not only have I got over a hundred ActiveX controls in WinNT\System2, a number of them have been upgraded since first installation, so getting the drive back to how it was but with XP, going down that route would be a friggin' nightmare.
Anyway, as you say, I've got nothing to lose, and TrueImage is ruddy brilliant. You can actually mount an image (even if spread across 11 TIB files as my backup is) and read or copy any individual file from anywhere within the 70GB drive content.
MM
On 13/06/2013 16:19, MM wrote:

You will be lucky if any of them work without a reinstall and you would be much wiser to start with a clean slate anyway. The registry tends to end up insanely cluttered on an old machine. Some drivers are bound not to exist for old hardware on newer OSs HP are a nuisance for this.

Installing a newer OS over another as an "upgrade" tends to produce a hopelessly unstable hybrid even when it is *supposed* to work. Installing an already borderline geriatric OS is a bit crazy anyway.
Clean sweep and start afresh is always the best way to proceed when changing OS. Or you could use a partition manager on a single disk.

Hard disks are cheap! Install another disk instead and then you have the option of booting from either of them during the transition.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Food for thought...
I too would RATHER install clean from scratch, but I break out in a cold sweat when I review my Programs folder and see what lies ahead to reinstall everything.
Anyway, first things first, the backup, which is now progressing (11 DVDs, but also on a 1TB external USB hard drive for extra POM).
MM
On Thu, 13 Jun 2013 17:00:29 +0100, MM wrote:

TBH, do you actually NEED half of it? There's a lot of stuff gets installed because "it's always been there".
Oh, and www.ninite.com - dead easy automated installer for a lot of the "generic stuff", without the toolbars/adware/bloatyjunk.
I'm also in the "scary amounts of cruft - fresh reinstall!" camp on this. One OS upgrade is just about doable. Upgrading a machine that's already been upgraded... <ewww!>
On Thu, 13 Jun 2013 16:38:52 +0000 (UTC), Adrian

That is very true, yes.

I'm just completing copying the TIB files onto DVDs (11 DVDs), so it won't be today now. Tomorrow, we'll see. If it all goes pear-shaped with the upgrade, I can just reinstate the Win2K image. (I have never known TrueImage to fail in the five years I've had it.) Even if everything "appears" okay, but after several days' use it certainly is not, then again, I can just either reinstate the original image or bite the proverbial bullet and install from scratch.
MM