OT: Why it is better to pretend you know nothing about computers

1) 2 is not several

2) save a copy means you've then got an extra file to delete in order to tidy up afterwards. If you don't do that, a day or so later you'll wonder why you have an extra copy.

3) I'm not using Word I'm using a program called wiggy that doesn't have a send-to-mail option

4) it's all extra steps that should not be necessary.

5) Errr ...

6) That's probably not it.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Which ones?

There are an awful lot of people that don't agree with what you say, me included.

Reply to
dennis

What Steve is saying, in his inimitable way, is that Windows users have low expectations.

Reply to
Tim Streater

clicking save doesn't create an extra copy it just saves what you have done to the original file.

Shame, maybe you should suggest they add one. You will have to use method 1: or another one if you want.

How do you save your changes to the file to send if you don't click save, not by waiting for the autosave to run before you send it shirley. How do you select the file if you don't use explorer. Surely not by opening the email program and using its dialogue? Lots of extra steps there.

Reply to
dennis

That means using the Word email interface! I use a different machine that has a proper email program, and has the files accessible over the network. Anyway, theer are lots of other examples...

Reply to
Bob Eager

Not from an email client on another machine. Where I keep a copy of sent emails. Why should I distort my way of working because Word/Windows are broken?

Reply to
Bob Eager

But you still have to close the file explicitly, or exit Word. That's the problem.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Why?

I use outlook.

Do you mean the email program is running on another machine?

Probably but I don't understand what this problem is.

Reply to
dennis

Yes.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Sounds like its your networking that's broken. Windows allows you to send or copy the file even if it is open in word. It will not let you open the file in two editors at the same time, this is sensible. What is the other machine and what are you using for the networking?

I assume you are talking about a modern windows and not something 15 years old.

Reply to
dennis

No you don't. You can copy it or send it via email while open in word. File locking stops you from opening it in two editors though.

Reply to
dennis

Just remind me, that's the Start menu that you have to go to to shut Windows down, right?

Reply to
Steve Firth

Switching the car off with the ignition key?

Reply to
Adrian C

Dragging a floppy drive icon to the waste basket to eject a disk? ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

So why should I need to save it? I haven't altered it, just opened it in Word.

Why should a text editor need a send-to-mail option?

I use the Finder, and drag the file to a new location. On a sensible system this works.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Yes - it is an utter PITA on the few occasions it bites IME.

Luckily I work somewhere where Windows is unsupported by decree :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

Don't save it then!

But why you would want to open it in word and then send it beats me, I just hit the button that lets the mail program view it as a word document rather than plain text. I could let it do it by default but I view all mail as plain text by default.

You complained about extra steps.

See above.

Like it does on windows. Drag it onto the emailer and send it? Not as easy as going to the menu and clicking "send to email" though is it? Too many extra steps for some.

Reply to
dennis

Starting the procedure to Stop? Anyway, my 'Start' button has 'Giraffe' on it; next door's had 'Molly'.

Perhaps not good to have 'Stop' on the button - Windows doesn't need any encouragement!

Reply to
PeterC

I've seen installers that have the opposite ... after paging through several screens of "Next", "Next" you end up with "Press Finish to begin installation".

Reply to
Andy Burns
[snip]

It beats you because you're nodding off and not paying attention. I never said I wanted to open it in Word and then send it by email. What

*I'm* complaining about is: 1) receive mail with attachment 2) Open attachment and find it important, so I want to move it to the right place in my file system and then continue editing it 3) try to move it and be told to piss off by Windows because Word has it open

And don't give me any crap about a workaround being to do a Save As and then delete the original later - that's an extra step. Or closing Word, moving it, and then editing it again. That's many extra steps. Many extra *unnecessary* steps.

Someone else may have commented re: sending mail - it wasn't me.

Reply to
Tim Streater