OT: where to source cheap used desktop PCs?

>>> Unpatched 98 does it pretty

From memory alone, didn't you have to use a non-USB keyboard if you needed to type anything at all while booting?

Reply to
polygonum

Heh, no, that is merely the maximum output of the power adapter. Thinkpad X60 T1300 CoreSolo is 12W to 8W with CPU set to lowest CPU, brightness 5 out of 7 etc.

Typo - missed "k" out re 0.012kW, the =A35.26 figure is correct on that comparison.

Reply to
js.b1

I have a HP Microserver with 4x2TB HD (and the original 250GB drive reinstalled to the CD slot) and the max 8GB RAM. It was intended as a file server and to to process some large datasets in no great hurry. Then I decided to put a Radeon half-height 5450 video card in it. So it is now doing double duty as my main desktop. It still only consumes around 50W flat out. [for desktop duty add another 70W for the two

1600x1200 LCDs)]
Reply to
djc

That's Win95 OSR2. I think 'USB support' is a little optimistic - not very much actually worked... keyboards and mice, anything else is pushing it.

Have a look at Eagle for Linux. UI a bit wierd and the free version can only do limited size boards, but it's quite good when you get into it. It also has lots of libraries, so you don't have to create every single component from scratch.

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

If they're ex-business machines, they probably came with an XP Pro OEM licence sticker on them. The Microsoft tax has already been paid, so there's no saving by not shipping with XP. You're free to remove it if you like.

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

That depended more on the BIOS - some had support for USB KB some not. Leading in some cases to the classic problem of "Keyboard not detected! Press F1 to continue" ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Maube I should have explained - it allows you to draw an electronic circuit diagram, then converts that to the interconnection patterns you need on a printed circuit board, routing the paths so as to meet various criteria (not too close, switching to a different 'side' and doing multiple layers, etc.).

That kind of routing. Nothing to do with routers, either :-)

Reply to
Windmill

I've downloaded that also. Likely the small size won't matter, but I'll see how I get on.

Reply to
Windmill

I can't believe how good they are. Well built, quiet, powerful enough for anything I throw at it and dirt cheap.

Reply to
Simon Finnigan