OT - what's your commute overhead ?

Now the schools are back, etc, my 20 minute run to the office when I go in has become an hour. So a loading of 200% inefficiency. Mainly caused by a confluence of roadworks that create a nice gridlock around most of Birmingham. In fact it is so good it's hard to imagine it wasn't planned.

As a level of tolerated inefficiency, it's easy to see why the UK is so unproductive.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I no longer commute but around my area roadworks are a major source of unnecessary congestion. Lane closures and temporary traffic lights are put in place a week before any work takes place and left in place long after the work has finished. I guess it's one company responsible for the cones and lights and a completely different company for the work.

Even when it would be easy to remove cones when work has finished for the day or weekend they are left in place.

There is also a tendency that when roadworks are planned on one major route there will be roadworks on the alternative routes. :(

Reply to
alan_m

Have you considered a bike, scooter? In London, I gave up trying to drive decades ago.

Reply to
Pancho

Last time I used the A11 to Norwich the 'work completed Summer 2023' single lane section was still in place.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Have you considered nor bothering to live in London at all?

Work exists elsewhere and the difference between earnings and cost of living is far greater outside it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Work?

The people are funny outside London.

Reply to
Pancho

I find this site:

to be quite useful when planning a journey.

Reply to
Tim Streater

My satnav even wanted me to leave the M25 before the Dartford tunnel and rejoin it after a roundabout on the basis that this would be quicker than sitting in the queue.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Oh yes! Why are the 50mph roadwork speed limits still displayed on the section of A11between Four Wentways and the A14 junction when no work is underway other than the lay-by's being coned off?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Fuck nose.

The problem is, one tends to ignore them if there is no reason for them. Its more like Putins Russia every day

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It's so you have to slow down and therebye have the time to admire the West Wratting / Six Mile Bottom wind farm. We moved away just in time to avoid that.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I wonder if it will be there in 5 years time. The world is full of the sound of crashing renewable energy companies.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I have seen notices saying that the cones have been left in place to allow the road surface to set before it can be driven over. Presumably that contractor had had enough of people using the contact number to complain about them.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

That doesn't fit with the way they re-surface parts of motorways overnight, e.g. one night they replace a half-mile stretch of lane 1, then the next night they do a parallel stretch of lane 2, the progress along staggering the lanes over the course of a week or two.

If you didn't happen to drive along the affected stretch after midnight you'd never be inconvenienced, and they seem to do a very good job of it nowadays.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Notably the ones in Norfolk and Cornwall

Reply to
Andrew

I can only report what the sign said. Perhaps they use a different, but possibly more expensive, surfacing material for motorways.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

Cornwall - the pasty duchy on the left hand side.

Reply to
Bob Eager

In message snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net>, Tim Streater snipped-for-privacy@streater.me.uk> writes

When unnecessary or out-of-date restrictions are left in place, would it be inappropriate to use FixMyStreet to highlight the situation?

Ian Jackson

It'll be there. Whether it's working is another matter... It's amazing how often the odd turbine or two (or three... or half of them) aren't running in a windfarm.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

It's more amazing how often in a dead calm three or four out of a dozen are still turning...chewing up leccy to save their bearings from going per shaped

I agree - no one is going to pay to dig up the massive concrete pads these things sit on.

I saw a program on you tube quite accidentally about the decommissioning of a north sea gas platform

They were going to tow it to a deep part of the ocean and sink it.

Greenpeace forced them to dismantle it and put it on a barge and take it ashore to dismantle it.

Total cost about the NHS budget for a year.

I understand why gas prices are so high..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher