OT: Vw "restoration"

hi all ,just wondering if anyone can help me , my mum owns an old (10 year) voltswagen and there are various shades of blue on it (where people have tried to sort the scratches out )and I would like to sort these out so the car looks more "valuable ? " as i would like to increase the value so i can sell it ...

I am already undergoing the repairing of the alloys and im spraying the bumper so it looks new.

Reply to
David

OK, what's you question?

Reply to
Dave Osborne

How he could sort out the various shades of Blue I should think, this is a posting written by my friend.

Reply to
David

Hmmmm........ may I suggest VW Electric Blue for the colour.

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

There's no Electric blue to be found under VW for 1999 that I can find.

Stephen.

Reply to
stephen.hull

There are over 250 available shades of blue for VW (in non metallic) which i presume the colour being 1999?.

A quick glance at my colour reference directory shows about three colours for 1999, Surfblue, Softblue and Kim blue.

You'll need to find the vehicle paint colour code located somewhere on the vehicle, try under the tailgate, bonnet or door shuts it should be something like VAG.A5C or just A5C for say Surfblue.

Stephen..

Reply to
stephen.hull

^^^^^

HTH Pete

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

The guy next door to me tows away cars for scrap.An immaculate 10 yo Volkswagen is worth very little.Don`t waste your money.This guy is crushing 03`s and 04`s without thinking about it.

Reply to
mark

In message , David writes

Have you checked likely selling prices?

I doubt it's worth spending too much time and (esp) money on it to make it look better.

Reply to
chris French

I guess he's really happy about HMG's proposal to place a =A32,000 bount= y on cars over 9 years old then. So that 10 poor condition motor suddenly has= real value. Unless HMG has really thought this "bounty" through(*) there= are going to be a lot of rust buckets left in peoples gardens traded in =

for the =A32k.

(*) When has any recent government really thought through any legislatio= n?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Ahh, I missed that!

Stephen.

Reply to
stephen.hull

I guess he's really happy about HMG's proposal to place a £2,000 bounty on cars over 9 years old then. So that 10 poor condition motor suddenly has real value. Unless HMG has really thought this "bounty" through(*) there are going to be a lot of rust buckets left in peoples gardens traded in for the £2k.

i havent read up about this, but heard about it, fecking annoying, i just sold my 15 year old micra, and ordered a new smart car a few months ago, and now i find out i could have got 2 grand for scrapping the micra, arse, that'd have bought me the smart car trailer i want to tow the smart behind the motorhome and left me some change too.

(anyone got or know of someone selling a smart car trailer for less than £800??? anywhere in england)

Reply to
gazz

Yup. The longer you can keep a vehicle running; especially if one doesn't drive much. a) The more economic sense it makes for my family. b) It avoids the industrial pollution involved in manufacturing/ shipping yet another vehicle.** c) It avoids unecessary credit (mine). When vehicle is getting near end of life one saves up for the next one. d) Haven't bought that many 'new' cars. And right now there is a glut of 'nearly new' (ex-lease, business and rental-firm trade-ins etc.) available now. e) ** many newer vehicles tend to be full of unnecessary, costly and potentially future polluting gadgets and hardware. Such devices as stereos, cruise control, electric windows are a waste of resources, are more things to go wrong. If they don't add to the utility and economy of the vehicle they should be omitted.

Reply to
stan

I've never paid more than a grand for a car ( my current 525 TDS Beemer only came in at £150...with 6 months tax on it ).

Surely it ought to be the other way round, with discounts on VED the longer you keep your car running on the basis that it's got to be 'greener' to keep a car running than it is to melt it down and make another one?

Mind you, not that HMG ever gave much thought to the issue. I well remember getting a fifty quid rebate on the VED for my old VW Beetle...'cos it has a small engine and is therefore nice and green and cuddly. Never mind the fact that the design of the engine means it chucks out blue smoke on startup, has to be run standing in cold weather as the demister system is less effective than an asthmatic vole and barely tops 30mpg....and it's a death trap ( anyone wanna buy it? It's a classic example of motoring heritage with, er, many unique features sadly lacking in today's Euroboxes. It's cool too...except when the heater kicks in and it incinerates your shoes ).

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

HMG?

Reply to
David

This isn't a "green" measure it's to stimulate the motor industry. ie to get people to buy more new cars. Maybe we are heading for a "car event horizon" rather than shoes?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

So if people start doing that again, is there some sort of stated timescale involved where they'll revoke the measure in the interests of not ballsing up the planet even more?

Reply to
Jules

Probably yes but not for that reason - it's costing money so they will stop as soon as they can.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

'Er Majistees Govmint, innit.

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

For sure - as trumpeted by the German government recently. I can understand the motive, but it so flies in the face of all the 'greenwash' we've been handed down the years that it makes me wonder whether we might be just as well off sitting in hole and saying "Zootlewhirdle" every now and again.

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard