OT: UK 3-pin mains plug

'd assumed - perhaps wrongly- that it was not just the cost of an adapter but that plus the cost of fitting it[1], plus the cost of packing in a larger box[2] just for the UK, and that that adds up to a significant fraction of the profit margin on a lot of low end (eg

Reply to
Robin

I'm pretty certain there is. I notice the most popular choice with two core leads is a clamped on fused adaptor for a Europlug so the end can be seen poking out through the normal lead hole. Some are screwed on, but most seem to be fit once and forget it. Sony seem to use those a lot. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I've had on travel chargers for AA/AAA batteries. Useful but (i) I don't think they are permitted under the Regs for anything with a flex or cable and (ii) the ones I've had weren't robust enough to stand up to typical domestic use by typical UK users (including the "pull it out by flex" brigade). But I am very willing to believe Blackberry provide superior, more robust kit.

Reply to
Robin

Part II of the Regs applies (oversimplifying) only to appliances with a flexible cable/cord.

Reply to
Robin

I looked at their site with much interest some time ago. I since became aware that there have been a few deaths which would have been avoided by using these, and none caused by these, so I don't have much sympathy with their campaign anymore.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

In article , alamaison writes

Yes 3 pin, my mistook.

Reply to
fred

I don't see why we even have the UK shaver plug any more. Just supply shavers, toothbrushes etc with a 2 pin Euro plug which will fit in a UK shaver socket or a shaver adapter but can also be used when you go overseas. Also means the manufacturer doesn't need to supply different plugs for different markets, keeping the cost down.

Reply to
2BSur2Bsur

The 3-pin round pin BS 546 plugs/sockets are still regs-compliant.

The 2A and 5A versions are often used for switched lighting, and the 15A version for stage lighting. The 30A version vanished when BS 4343/IEC 60309 connectors became popular.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

The BB charger has a cable on the LV side ... It's a wallwart with the aforementioned slide-on fronts. Sadly, it appears I've lost the adaptors which is going to be irritating the next time I go the USA.

Reply to
Huge

I was trying to be brief. I also thought it might be assumed that the flex/cable in question was "mains carrying" which needed the protection of BS 1363 else a lot of other kit would be caught - and eg USB cables in the UK could become a right pain!

The actual provision in question is:

"Appliances to which Part II applies

11.-(1) Subject to paragraph (2) below, this Part applies to any appliance which-

(a) is designed to operate at a voltage of not less than 200 volts; and

(b) is designed to operate at a maximum rated input of not more than

13 amperes; and

(c) is either-

(i) equipment which is fitted with a flexible cable or cord, is designed to be connected to a socket conforming to BS 1363 by means of that flexible cable or cord and a plug and is ordinarily intended to be so connected directly without the use of a cable connector; or

(ii) a flexible cable or cord which is connected to a portable socket or portable sockets and is designed to be connected to a socket conforming to BS 1363 by means of a plug; or

(iii) a flexible cable or cord which is designed to be connected to electrical equipment by means of an appliance coupler and to connect that electrical equipment to a socket conforming to BS 1363 by means of a plug; or

(iv) a flexible cable or cord which is designed to be connected by means of a cable connector to a flexible cable or cord fitted to electrical equipment, and which is intended to connect that electrical equipment to a socket conforming to BS 1363 by means of a plug; and

(d) is ordinarily intended for domestic use.

(2) This Part does not apply to any appliance specified in Schedule 3 to these Regulations."

Reply to
Robin

But what about _existing_ shavers etc?

Reply to
Erskine, Frank

The fuse is merely to protect the lead.

No lead - no need for a fuse!

Reply to
Erskine, Frank

The 3-pin ones are regs-compliant. It's the 2-pin ones that are only still complaint as a shaver socket.

Reply to
alamaison

not really true, the fusing requirements for lead and appliance are just different. Wallwarts often have a bare wire link fuse (in old ones) or a thermal fuse, or an enclosed fuse somewhere. None are meant to be repairable.

NT

Reply to
NT

> I'd assumed - perhaps wrongly- that it was not just the cost of an

Compared to a schuko, there is not actually much in it size wise (although the BS1362 plug is much better at hurting your foot when left laying on a floor ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Existing shavers will also fit in existing sockets....

Reply to
2BSur2Bsur

Could you give more detail please?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Most of the mobile makers do similar now... My ericsony has a similar arrangement, with small wallwart and a choice of main plug sides. The LV side being just a USB A socket rather than a captive lead.

Reply to
John Rumm

Have you any details of the ones where you think they may have helped?

Reply to
John Rumm

Your link seems to have cleaned them out!

One minute they were there, the next they'd gone! (No longer stocked)

But, for a few coppers more (49p ea. for 10+)you can have

looks suspiciously identical ...

... or for a couple of coppers more - again!- (57p ea. for 10+) you can have black ones!

Terry Casey