OT Ubuntu home partition

I'v just found a helpfile for having a separate home partition in Ubuntu, something I've heard about for a long time but not been able to do.

its not a GUI but commandline magic.

Makes updating the OS a lot easier, I think.

[g]
Reply to
george [dicegeorge]

just put in a new hard drive on this laptop and Acronis increased the partitions proportionately so I ended up with a Dell diagnostics partition many times larger than necessary, and a massive allocation for Windows' MFT expansion. Easeus, above, gives you a simple drag the bar to size, graphical interface to correct this. (JKdefrag, being a good freeware prog that shows you the different areas of a drive in different colours and various options for sorting and defragging.)

spamlet

os will upgrade over anything really.

For a single user system I cant see the point of splitting the disk up that way.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Personally i don't think it's worth it. i use SBackup which backs up your home and usr folder unto a usb stick, then if the HD goes titsup or you want to do a clean upgrade install you just run restore and everything is as it was 20min previously.

Reply to
Mark

Until very recently when Linux got "Easy" every install involved partitioning the disk from the command line and deciding what space you wanted for each part. It was standard practice to put /home on a separate partition, then when doing an upgrade there would be an option "not format home partition". It is probably still there. Useful when all your account/applications settings and you personal created files go in there. There can be a lot of config(.) hidden files you don't even think about, especially on something like an Ubuntu system that tries to make itself as Mac/Windows like in operation and installation and hides stuff without cutting off access totally.

Reply to
Elder

You obviously haven't got much data!

Reply to
Bob Martin

I am sorry,but you are not correct about it being standard, and you are not correct about upgrades requiring a complete reinstallation and disk wipe.

Upgrades are usually simply a question of overwriting the code with new code whilst leaving the configuration the same: That is even true for major upgrades.

It is probably still there. Useful when all

Your assumption that any upgrade involves repartitioning is at fault: It makes nonsense of the rest of what you say.

This is not Windows where failure to remove the dross on your last installation will result in the next being slow/malware infested and/or broken.

The average naive user of a personal desktop is well advised to not create more than one partition. It means he doesn't need to know in advance which partitions will be what size. He can use the whole disk to its best advantage.

Upgrades will not affect it nor will they require repartitioning or indeed any file erasure.

Once you really need a new partition type scenario, you wont need to ask if you do, either.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

be aware there's a lot of stuff sometimes in /var as well that may need backing up.

/usr is only code really.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I simply use two disks on the server, on of which syncs the other.

and neither of which coexists inside my *desktop* machine.

Which I don't back up, since no user data exists on it at all, bar a few name/password things in the key-rings for some websites I use a lot.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Much better to reformat teh root partition on an OS upgrade. Then a separate /home is useful to carry forward to the new OS even with a single user. The installer will give the option of setting up the partitions as required, quite straightforward, set teh existing root partition as / and the existing /home as /home, re-formatting only the / partition.

Reply to
<me9

Exactly what I've done on all my FreeBSD systems for years. After installation, I restore selected config files, etc. to / and /var.

Reply to
Bob Eager

On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 10:48:57 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wibbled:

I will have to disagree. I would never leave data on the same filesystem as the OS. Particularly not Windows.

Re: linux - although it is true that Linux is pretty good at doing in place upgrades (especially Debian derived distros because the packaging is IMO done better in the first place) - soon er or later you will meet one of 3 scenarios:

1) Linux has got crufty enough (including you have messed too much under / etc) and you need a clean reinstall; 2) You want to install a different type of linux. 3) You have dual boot and would like all OSes to see your data.

The method is simple enough - unless you are very tight on disk space,

10-20GB for the OS and the rest for data.
Reply to
Tim Watts

RedHat version 3 had a graphical partitioning tool in 1996

Reply to
pcb1962

WE are not talking about windows.

I would never leave ANY data on a windows machine, ever. I have been using file servers on windows desktops for over 15 years now. Windows desktops are disposable entities. They can crash beyond repair at any time.

Generally at that point I need a new machine as well, and thats when you simply make a new machines and hook your old disk up to it as a second DISK.

Whatever for?

Virtual box is your friend: No need for either dual booting or partitioning. Or being restricted to having to use WINDOWS disk formats on your shared data

Until you start loading up google earth, and the like,and run out of primary disk space, or your log files grow or you start using say MySql or apache which likes their data in /var...

For the unsophisticated single user desktop., one partition is a lot easier. And VB for WinDoze.

By the time more becomes a useful thing, they will know enough not to have to read our arguments anyway.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

whatever for?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

To ensure it is an easily maintained standard installation free from any old applications that should be upgraded but aren't. Makes it much easier to move forward rather than remaining in the past.

Reply to
<me9