OT: Toasters

George makes toast as well as lighting barbies?

Reply to
Huge

I think he could turn pretty much anything into toast ...

Nick

Reply to
Nick Leverton

My SWMBO bought a Dualit not long after we married. She'd broken two toasters of her own while we were courting and then mine and another after we married. The Dualit is well over 10 years old and working just as well as ever.

Expensive to buy but cheaper in the long term.

Guy

-- --------------------------------------------------------------------- Guy Dawson@SMTP - snipped-for-privacy@cuillin.org.uk // ICBM - 6.15.16W 57.12.23N 986M

4.4>5.4 4.4>5.4 4.4>5.4 The Reality Check's in the Post! 4.4>5.4 4.4>5.4
Reply to
Guy Dawson

This is to be expected because the toaster is hotter and needs more cooling after the first set of slices.

Toasters - toast cooled room heaters!

The do need to be up to operating temperature first. If not the initial slices will not be very toasted.

Guy

-- --------------------------------------------------------------------- Guy Dawson@SMTP - snipped-for-privacy@cuillin.org.uk // ICBM - 6.15.16W 57.12.23N 986M

4.4>5.4 4.4>5.4 4.4>5.4 The Reality Check's in the Post! 4.4>5.4 4.4>5.4
Reply to
Guy Dawson

Shame. A four oven Aga can be had for less than £10,000, only costs £2,000 - £3,000 a year to run and makes excellent toast. You have to turn the slices yourself though.

Tim W

Reply to
Tim W

Tesco Value, about £5 Only 2 slice mind, so I bought a pair and placed them side by side

Reply to
Graham.

Cots about £600 a year to run, even on the inflated fuel at the moment, and warms the whole house in winter.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

About 50l/week for 52 weeks @65p/l plus a couple of hundred servicing gives you £2000. More if you are heating water.

£600 is the figure for if you sink a shaft in your back garden and get the gardener's kids to go down in a cage with a pony, pick and shovel by offering them 30 bob a load for coal.

Tim W

Reply to
Tim W

snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

We've got a Tefal one (label underneath says 5324 - and now there's crumbs everywhere!), and it has lasted fully all of ten years without any problems; it cooks toast nicely and does buns and the likes as well. Too long ago to know how much it cost.

I have now of course put the finger on it and tomorrow it will die !! Rob

Reply to
robgraham

well all I can say is that mine burns about 600 quid of oil, the rest of the 1400 + is the CH boiler. And that all in winter.

TOTAL oil bill is only 2200 a year.

It is a two oven only tho.

My diect experience obviously doesn't trump your prejudice.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yeah it can't be *that* difficult(*) to make a toaster that can automagically produce consistent toast slice after slice starting from cold. B-)

Telescopic toasting fork and open fire much nicer. Hum, I wonder what happened to the toasting forks we used to have at home?

(*) It is obviously is a very difficult problem otherwise some maker would have produced something by now, patented it, and made a fortune on the royalties. There have been attempts but none have been particulary successful.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

By constantly having to check for the required browness.

Normal toasters can be adjusted after the first run as well but that's just as much a PITA as having to constantly check a manual toaster such as a Dualit.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Probably because some muppet has tweaked the conveyor speed control to "hare". The controls should be set then physically locked to stop muppets setting the thing to "dried bread" or "car park for an hour".

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

It's consistent on the cheapy I use. Just move the timer knob to the other sharpie mark after the first pair of slices.

Reply to
John Williamson

FFS Nat did you wake up to find the cat had pissed in your porridge or something?

If I made a flippant comment about the cost of using an Aga as a toaster I didn't expect to face the inquisition over the source of my figures. I guessed them. There is nothing wrong with that. As it happens I guessed with some skill and accuracy, so why are you wanting to stir things up a bit more with some nonsense about prejudice and experience? As it happens I know from experience how much oil an Aga burns, and I have no idea why you should think you can run one for £600 but I wouldn't be so ignorant as to call you prejudiced just because you don't know something which is hardly worth knowing anyway.

Tim w

Reply to
Tim W

Religious issue, innit.

Mystifies me why anyone would want to share their living space with 2 tonnes of red-hot scrap, but that's up to them.

Reply to
Huge

Bear in mind that probably 95% of the population would not be able or interested in replacing elements and most would not have the motivation or tools. Many toasters fail because owners are too apathetic to even clean out the crumbs. So, manufacturers cater for the majority who will be happy to buy one from the supermarket when they need one and not shed a tear when it fails provided it has lasted about 12 months.

I agree that many are not build around a typical slice of bread - possibly they all use the same Chinese elements.

We all want to mend things - but to produce repairable items costs more (eg. screws instead of welds). Makers would also have to ensure that they can be accessed and repaired safely - this would be difficult as someone could do something wrong and make a claim.

Reply to
DerbyBoy

And in summer?

I prefer something that works better rather than a fashion item.

Reply to
dennis

warms the whole planet.

Almost all houses in the remoter rural areas have Agas or Rayburns because the electricity supply is still not reliable. Where the power is on overhead lines winter storms cause power cuts as trees bring the lines down. If the weather is very bad they aren't fixed so quickly and then you are really glad you can keep warm and have a hot dinner by candlelight.

Tim W

Reply to
Tim W

I suspect the main problem is an economical one, though - it's too expensive to do and market the resulting product and expect people to pay for it. For the enterprising diyer producing a one-off, that's less of a problem.

I'm not sure how to tell when a slice is done, though - is it by colour, surface temperature, surface crispness, or some other metric?

Agreed! Sadly we don't have an open fire at our current house, so the cooker's the next best thing :-( We do have some huge toasting forks for use with the fire pit outside, but obviously I'm a bit reluctant to wander outside in my skivvies to make toast each morning ;)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson