OT: Toasters

Can anyone recommend a toaster that actually works properly? After the demise of my old toaster I have been through three different toasters and none of them cook the toast evenly. Surely it can't be that difficult to make one that toasts without burning?

Reply to
Mark

Or make one that takes the size of bread actually sold rather than some imaginary small square.

Reply to
Scott M

Dualit.

Reply to
Huge

And not the "Dualit Lite" - I had one. Burnt out an element. Unlike the ledgendary proper Dualits, this was a cheap piece of unrepairable chinese crap.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Or Lincat if you're not a middle-class fogey.

Signed, a middle-class fogey.

Reply to
Steve Firth

This one does a good job:-

about ten minutes to warm up, and will produce streams of evenly coloured toast of any size or thickness for hours on end.....

Possibly a bit over the top for the average family, though.

Reply to
John Williamson

+1
Reply to
Bob Eager

Ouch, yes. I forgot to mention that SWMBO won't pay over £50 for one! A 2-slice basic toaster would be fine.

Reply to
Mark

yup, friends of mine had one of those. A different beast to the proper one we have. Ours is coming up for 14 years old and still going strong, though did have to replace the timer a couple of years ago.

compared to all the other toasters i use at places still think it is the best.

Reply to
chris French

Still burns repeat slices when set to the same time as the first slices.

I don't think there is an automatic toaster than can produce consistent toast over multiple serially inserted slices. Conveyor type toasters excepted.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Buy that cheap and you'll replace it many times. Buy something that is properly designed and manufactured and it will damn near last a lifetime at just twice that price.

So it basically boils down to British manufactured Dualit, or chinese manufactured shit that repeatedly breaks down and is for all practical purposes completely unrepairable and thus disposable every few years.

Her choice.

The Other Mike

You have contradictory requirements.

Our Dualit has been in regular use for > 10 years. Worth every penny compared to the useless pieces of fragile junk that preceded it.

Reply to
Huge

And not just because they're good toasters, but because you can get parts to replace the elements when they do eventually go. Ours is about

15 years old, has had two elements out of four replaced and still going strong.
Reply to
nicknoxx

You'd need to have some sort of toast colour sensor to do that. Not impossible but doesn't exist AFAIK.

Reply to
nicknoxx

So don't set it to the same time! At least you get the choice.

The best toaster I ever saw was in India and consisted of about

15 domestic toasters connected together with a rats nest of wiring and a little Indian man playing "whack-a-mole" with slices of bread. IIRC, this was in the Varanasi Hilton.

All the conveyor toasters I've ever used (in hotels) have been useless and require the toast to be put through at least twice. While you gaze in despair at your rapidly cooling eggy-bacon.

Reply to
Huge

+1
Reply to
djc

The key is to set them correctly, and then superglue the controls.

The ones on the P&O ferries are usually set just right. Nicely browned toast after one pass. Have another go for that beautiful black, crispy version, and hope the fire alarm's been turned down.

Or, make your toast before you get your bacon from the buffet, and blow the queueing system. This has been a free-of-charge public service announcement.

Reply to
John Williamson

Conveyor toasters are, it seems, good at turning out 100 slices of pure carbon per minute, or some warm dry bread, with no intermediate stage of toasty goodness.

Reply to
Steve Firth

They're pretty good about spares for everything. They sent us a new lid for our coffee percolator because the handle broke and the new design of handle didn't fit the original lid. Even though the percolator is years out of warranty and gets used every single day.

Reply to
Huge

Well, obviously that's what I do now. I was just trying to be humorous.

Reply to
Huge