OT Time for direct action

But I have just had the info on my Dad closing down the building site (38 houses) next to his house.

Direct talks with the management about noise before 8am (not allowed) and mud on the road not getting cleared up (builders claim to clean the street daily) did not work so he parked his car across the entrance to the site and closed it down for the day.

The police have decided that it is a civil matter and are not interested.

And it did work. Dunno what closing the site down for a day costs but there is now no noise before 8am and the street is cleaned every day.

Reply to
ARW

How refreshing when that actually works in someone's favour. Normally it is the stock excuse when the police can't be arsed.

Well done dad.

But was his car still in one piece? I am surprised 4 big blokes did not bounce it out of the way.

Reply to
Tim Watts

There was a mob of angry neighbours backing him up. I must get CCTV fitted to my parents place.

Reply to
ARW

Lucky they didn't have a tele-handler on site!

Reply to
Andy Burns

It is a matter for your local council's planning department to enforce, since the conditions were imposed by them. They can close down a site without any difficulty.

Reply to
charles

You might as well DIY the solution. What time does the local council's planning department open in a morning?

Reply to
ARW

with us, the office opens at 8.30am, but the enforement teams work all hours.

Reply to
charles

I've known enforcement officers to start early.

I think a word to your local councillor would have done the trick in perhaps a less stressful way?

Reply to
Fredxxx

Not half as much fun though lol

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

As ARW has said, the loss to the builder is the cost of a lost days work. It's not worth the stress of a possibility of receiving a summons in the next 6 years to cover all losses including contractors, redelivery, and a days interest on the loan the builder is paying.

It could be sufficient to get into the Fast Track claims at the local County Court. I prefer to sleep at night.

Reply to
Fredxxx

Assuming that previous approaches had been ignored, and you had several local witnesses to back up the noise/mud claims I think it would be a foolish builder who took this to court. The press would love to cover such a case.

Well done dad!

Reply to
newshound

Hmm, well who knows, but I'd imagine they are now out to get him!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

It was the lack of sleep that made him park his car across the entrance to the site.

Reply to
ARW

Criminal damage.

Reply to