OT Tidal power

Do you not understand what efficiency is?

Power generasted depends on head and volume od water. You can have high head, low volume. Or High volume low head. Turbines can be designed for either.

Reply to
harryagain

Well you keep repeating your obvious drivel.

Reply to
harryagain

Agreed by who?

Reply to
harryagain

So horses is another of your ignorances?

Reply to
harryagain

Ah. Sunlight.

Reply to
harryagain

Not surprised, your field of expertise I take it?

Reply to
harryagain

If it's neither here nor there or anywhere, you've lost it.

Reply to
Richard

At a guess, not the Scots.

Reply to
Richard

In practice, grow lamps run on nuclear power are likely to be more efficient.

Reply to
Nightjar

harryagain submitted this idea :

Correct!

If a tidal flow will work, then a flow resulting from previously pumped stored water will work too.

Larger heads are used, as a means to store more energy in a smaller volume of pump stored water.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

The "fuel" might be free, but it is limited by the size of the river or stream.

Reply to
John Williamson

I read it carefully and fully, not forgetting the other pages on the site, with my brain switched on,and it *is* fairy dust as well as advertising puffery. Anyone who believes otherwise is the on with shit for brains.

Reply to
John Williamson

Pot. Kettle. Black.

Reply to
John Williamson

Agreed by those that know what would be needed to get useful amounts of hydro power from Scottish sources.

And it should be "Agreed by *whom*?"

Reply to
John Williamson

Nuclear power can do the job just as well in a fraction of the space.

Reply to
John Williamson

Good luck getting any energy out when the head is down to a couple of feet. It's the same problem with heat: I've got a couple billyun tons of water here, at 2deg above ambient. Now, quite a lot of energy there

- how do I get it out?

The answer (may be) a heat pump. But even if it is, think of the

*corresponding* solution for tidal flow. The corresponding solution is to take your large volume/low head and, guess what!, convert it to small volume/large head. Now, where are you going to put it?
Reply to
Tim Streater

Quite impressive, but once installed and wired up how much change do you get from a million quid?

Reply to
newshound

It isn't free. The less efficent it is the bigger the machine to make a useful amount. The bigger the machine the more it costs and the bigger the environmental impact it has.

You really should learn that there is no such thing as free energy and that it all has an environmental impact.

Reply to
dennis

Harry please point us in the direction of real life deployments and technical details of these low head, high volume turbines you mention.

Reply to
The Other Mike

Harry you are well behind the curve on this one. This was finally rubber stamped maybe 12 months ago or more and funding obtained from the EU (from the Southern Europe Failed State Slush Fund).

Flooding Scotland, all of it, is the renewable that is required to make wind turbines almost work.

:)

Reply to
The Other Mike