OT Thunderbird keeps switching to US dictionary

Just a guess: try Tools - Add-ons - Dictionaries and see if the US one is there. It should be possible to delete it.

I use Fossamail (based on Tbird) and under Tools - Options - Composition - Spelling I have GB selected and US also there. I can't find anything about US dictionary in Config so I don't know where it is (the GB shows). There are the two in Program Files - Fossamail dictionaries but US is only a few kB and thus non-functional. Also the same files in the Profile (you'd have to find that for yourself - I'm on Win 7). Deleting the US one to the Recycle Bin, so that it can be restored if necessary, might do the trick.

Reply to
PeterC

No it can't be done. But if you click on 'add to dictionary' every time eventually it knows all the proper spellings. It doesn't matter that it thinks US ones are also correct because obviously I'm not going to spell anything the US way.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

It works fine for me. I'm assuming you set the dictionary in Edit>Preference>Composition>Language? I can't see any way of deleting the US dictionary though.

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

I cannot find a Edit>Preference>Composition>Language but I could find a Tools>Options>Composition>Language and it was set to US.

And hey presto I am now using the correct colour:-). God knows how that got changed, ISTR it did an update last week.

Cheers to both you and PeterC for aiming me in the correct direction and hopefully fixing the problem.

Now if anyone has a tripping RCD problem then hopefully the spellcheck will not change it from RCD to GFCI:-)

Any tips on not mixing up the Reply and Followup buttons are also welcome.

Reply to
ARW

In mine, its under Tools/Options/Spelling

But I only have the UK dictionary loaded, so cam't experience the same problem

There's also a link to: 'Download more Dictionaries' which not going to touch!

Perhaps you can, as been suggested, delete the one you don't want

Reply to
Terry Casey

Linux

Windows.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Remove reply from the toolbar or move its position on the toolbar. For newsgroups I find preferable to have follow-up as the first toolbar button and reply as the last.

Right click on the toolbar area and the customise option appears. Drag the reply button into the storage area to remove it or drag it to its new position.

Reply to
alan_m

In message , ARW writes

The best tip I'd like is how to avoid clicking the *close* button when I've just closed a pdf:-( It needs a *do you really want to exit Thunderbird* message. With more than one mail address and different passwords, restarting takes time.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Next time you use it it will have reverted.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Can't say I have ever had the problem, but I suppose you could copy the "proper" English dictionary over the top of the US one, so that whichever it picks you get the right spellings.

Reply to
John Rumm

Not even by uninstalling the US dictionary and installing the UK one?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Restarts whole computer Types in word. Colour. Still a proper word.

Reply to
ARW

That's the step that I missed - install the EN dictionary first!

Reply to
PeterC