OT: This could make a few windmills redundant

What about the radioactive waste? the greens will be up in arms about it.

I mean having to store the stuff for a few years while it cools down will be a terrible unsolvable problem.

Reply to
dennis

They asked me how I knew it was Esso Blue I of course replied it can't be denied Smoke gets in you eyed

Now laughing friends deride lies I can't abide For 70 years they've tried And most have ended fried That frisson deep inside

When night turns to day I won't turn away Until then I say: Smoke gets in your eyes.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Typical of TNP to devote all his energy into further discrediting the Greens when it will really be the oil, gas and coal producers that go all out to torpedo this prospect as they will see their profits put seriously at risk if it is successful.

Reply to
Roger Chapman

Thats a nice re-wording of the re-wording from the 50s ! Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

There's little hydrogen on the earth unless you make it.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Hi Brian.

You are wrong in what you see as the problem of containment. The problem is the opposite of containment. The problem is getting it to spread.

Fusion reaction is one that takes place between individual atoms -or more p recisely, individual ions. The ions in the atmosphere that take part in ion ised fusion are already stripped to "ions" in the upper atmosphere.

We don't know what is happening deep underground. And due to such ignorance we assume that no such a thing is taking place. However the organic chemis try that must be taking place deep below us can be mirrored in any planet w ith a sustainable gravity belt -whatever the reaction process turns out to be.

And we know that at just over 2 times the mass of earth fusion has to be ta king place on Jupiter. Jupiter is the sole planet (known) to be emitting li ght (heat) Presumably this is due to fusion. Jupiter has (or is alleged to have) a massive atmosphere, which would make its "outer atmosphere" a super b generator of ions -and fusion.

Which would make the sun at least 300 times as effective. But then we can a dd or subract synergy into that equation. A non stop reaction. If I didn't know better I would say that god put the limits on these things.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

You will probably find they are already too dense for fusion ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

I will have a pint of whatever he is drinking ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Eh there is plenty of hydrogen, 2/3rds of every water molecule... getting at 'em can be a problem but probably not has hard as making, B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Thermal cracking powered by nuclear fission. Oh, wait ...

Reply to
Huge

I'll have another Abbots Ale if you are buying. I need some aspirin too.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

They are transuranic, i.e.beyong uranus.

Reply to
PeterC

The efficiency of the ICE is related to compression ratio, nothing to do with bore/stroke ratio. That is limited by the properties of the fuel.

Reply to
harryagain

I think the problems with long strokes were vast. The need for rebores was something that occurred about ever 30 or 40 thousand. The fuel used was more expensive. And the desired engineering for machines capable of mass-production of such high compression put the manufacture at odds with European factories.

The reason to do with longevity of modern ICEs is to do with improved design, metallurgy, manufacturing tacniques and lubricants. It was a big step when non cylindrical pistons were introduced. Also improved piston rings.

The technology was known about for decades. The Japs introduced it forcing, the West to follow.

Reply to
harryagain

Another subject whose detail completely escapes you..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I must have missed this advance. I thought even Formula 1 still used cylindrical pistons and that oval bores were only used by some race bikes.

Have I missed something?

Which road cars use non-cylindrical pistons?

Reply to
Fredxx

I've seen an excellent engine design using rectangular pistons on a hinge. The pistons never touch the cylinder walls so don't wear, and coolant water is pumped through the hinge around inside the piston.

Reply to
Matty F

harryagain scribbled...

Bollocks. Honda made the NR racing bike with oval pistons, it was a f*ck up.

Reply to
Artic

Won't be neccessary.You are all talking bollix. You have your heads so far up your arses, it is unbelieveable. Fifty years at least before commercial fusion reactors are working. If they work at all, not absolutely certain even now. And even then, they don't solve the problem of portable power.

You are just being told the crap you want to hear. Only those in cloud cuckooland believe Yank drivel propaganda. Americans have invented virtually nothing in the past and never will. They steal ideas and kidnap people to gain any form of technology. Us and the Germans invented most stuff.

And where are the Germans going you have to ask?

Reply to
harryagain

Virtually all pistons are tapered, oval and barrel shaped (when cold) these days. You won't notice it, it is only a few thou. but a ver exact amount.

When it is hot it becomes a near cylinder. This reduces wear by a huge margin.

harryagain