OT: The Outernet

Anyone heard about the Outernet (geddit?)

I'm not joking or messing.

There was a guy on the news saying it's the High Street response to internet shopping.

I'm not sure i see how that would be any different to ordinary going shopping.

Reply to
Jack Harry Teesdale

Sounds more like going to a central building to watch a GBFO telly.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Sounds also a bit like a shopping centre where there is only oone set of counter staff for all the companies. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I think there is a bricks and mortar shopping model that might work. It would provide easy access to customer reviews. Detailed descriptions and specs. Competitive prices, but not necessarily quite as good as online. I think people would pay a little extra for the convenience of taking the goods with them, there and then.

Reply to
GB

I preferred the outernet but you can't get nuffin' these days....no tandy no maplin etc etc

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

It would be very handy to know that Arkwright's Stores has fork handles in stock, which can be picked up straightaway, rather than having to phone them where's it's just easier to take a trip out to pick them up from the sheds.

It remains to be seen whether shopkeepers will put the effort into cataloguing their stock in enough detail to the useful, though. (and whether they'll invest in stock control so you can trust the things are in stock and didn't sell out last month)

Theo

Reply to
Theo