OT The next door neighbours have finally moved

The turning of the country into something closely akin to 1970s E Germany where the Stasi spied on everybody and everybody spied on each other. A country where you had to supply ID for almost every transaction.

The government is going to give you one whether you want it or not.

Reply to
Alang

I suspect you're right. Spouse knows them all AND of course his mother's Co-op number and his passport number and even my NH and NI numbers.

Me? I even have to have a chip'n'sig card because I can't remember any numbers I've been given since May 1993.

Mary even sadder old git

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Thanks for that.

Doesn't bother me one way or t'other. I can't see what all the fuss is about.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I know my driving licence number and my NI number but only my *old* NHS number. What does that make me?

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Easy. Use memory hooks. Each number is represented by an object, commonly 1 gun, 2 shoe, 3 tree, 4 door, 5 hive, 6 sticks (hockey), 7 heaven (angel), 8 gate, 9 wine but you can use what you like.

So if you want to remember 2341 it becomes shoe, tree, door, gun. You visualise a shoe stuck up a tree which has a door in the trunk and you shoot the door open with your gun. Make the pictures in you mind as outlandish as possible.

Or use the journey system. Think about a journey you make often and visualise specific places along the route e.g. postbox, crossing, shop, railings. Then visualise a giant shoe stuck in the postbox, a tree on legs crossing the road, the shop with a huge door & the railings have become a row of rifles (guns).

The journey system is good for shopping lists as well, quite easy to remember 10 - 12 items without a list.

Might sound crazy - but it works.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

All I can remember are my NI no., & Army no., the latter was only used on 'Pay Parade' and drawing kit from the Quartemaster's store AISTR.

Don.

Reply to
Cerberus .

You will when you can't shop or get petrol or use your bank because you've mislaid your ID card

Reply to
Alang

Reasons for dumping her are on the other post. I think the fact that I did not retaliate proves I am not a shit.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadworth

er - I don't think that's what the government's idea is. But the same would apply (if I did much shopping or use the bank or even get petrol) if I only used my credit card and 'mislaid' that.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

More like they'll /sell/ you one wether you want it or not.

Reply to
<me9

If you have a mind like mine, remembering the pattern of buttons that you have to press might work.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

I find that although the content might be almost totally forgotten, I tend to remember where and on which page things appeared. Most obvious with newspapers - I might be able to recall 'top right of a right-hand page' or 'back page, second column'.

Reply to
Rod

Those of the ecclesiastical persuasion can use "spectacles, testicles, wallet and watch"

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I remember the PIN as a pattern of digits, but on the *card*, not on the keyboard. For example the second digit of the card number, the fourth digit, the fifth digit, and the first digit. My actual pattern is different, obviously.

The pattern is the same for every card. When I get a new card I change its PIN to match the pattern.

I decided on a pattern about 20 years ago and I've been using it ever since. All my PINs have been different, and I've never had trouble with any of them. The only thing I need to remember is the pattern. It's also important to get into the habit of looking at the card to establish its PIN *before* putting it in the machine or giving it to the merchant. After a while it all becomes second nature, and the briefest glance at the card will remind me of the PIN if I use it a lot, or more carful scrutiny will allow me to work out the PIN of a card that I haven't used for a year or two.

Obviously that system wouldn't work for everyone - all our minds are different - but it works very well for me.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

No good with a shopping list though....

:-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Quite, we were really annoyed that they went with the normal collection = on the normal collection day. With this being the case what is the point of= the =A315 charge for bulky items other than to encourage fly tipping?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

There's no problem, the card company accepted my problem as a medical one (which it is) and issued a chip & sig card. It puzzles some traders but it's part of their education :-)

I'm glad it wasn't my memory for words which was destroyed and it was bliss to regain my sense of smell - far more important than number memory.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

So I shoot the door open with the gun to climb up inside the trunk to get the shoe. That's 4132. Right.

How many goes at guessing the PIN do you get before the card is rejected?

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

There is none. It's the customary disconnect between politicians, management and the people who actually do the work.

Reply to
Huge

Using the car they can't afford, no doubt.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q