OT The economics of energy

Our Dave being simple-minded as usual. A winter blocking high over northern Europe could last for days and will produce the effects described.

And there are other occasions when there is no wind.

Reply to
Tim Streater

It happens several nights every year. All it takes is a high sitting on top of us and you get zero wind power and then it goes dark.

Yes they could but not several days evey year, maybe once in a few thousand years.

Only if you can actually prove there is a benefit to not burning it.

Reply to
dennis

and many more times the combined output is s low as to not do a lot

Which won't happen. There are lots of good things one could do with infinite money. The left fails to understand that insisting on value for money results in getting more of them done. In value for money terms, windmills reducing gas consumption is a nonstarter.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

On the night of the 15/16th of this month, for example, next to no wind. While that's not 'no wind at all' (and no doubt Dave will pick on that), it's close enough to be absolutely of no use as far as powering the country's concerned.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

See above. ;-)

Then let's see some real figures. To show all those windmills are actually a waste of time and money.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And there are occasions when power fails too. Remember those? Used to be quite common here.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well, we seemed to have got through all our North Sea gas rather quickly in the overall scheme of things.

But I'm sure there is plenty more to see you out. Not so sure about your grandkids, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

FFS. This is the trouble with you lot. I have never suggested relying on one source of power. But carry on thinking I have, since you can't think for yourself.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yeah, like when your mates Scargill and Gormley pulled the miners out on strike demanding 30% wage rises. Blackouts not so much "common" - more

*guaranteed*.
Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Yes but the gas fields weren't only being emptied by the UK. Some of them were in other waters as well as our own.

They might get the greens to understand nukes by then.

Reply to
dennis

Depends on the cost of doing that. Makes a lot more sense to use nukes instead. That way you save even more gas and get reliable supply as well.

Reply to
Swer

Forever is a long time. I remember when oil was going to run out in the

1980s.
Reply to
newshound

error: impossible operation.

Reply to
tabbypurr

Nah, scrapping all planes, 38 million cars and 26 million boilers within

6 years sound perfectly achievable ...
Reply to
Andy Burns

Scrapping millions of plane *trips* might be possible as a starter though, by making the fares cover the total cost to all of us.

Again, a car parked isn't much of a problem, ecology-wise, it's them being driven when there are practical greener alternatives that is the problem.

We don't have a boiler *now*. <shrug> [1]

I predict people will have to adapt and change their lifestyles in the foreseeable future, we simply cannot carry on consuming (and therefore polluting) at the current rate.

I think people may have to learn to differentiate between 'want' and 'need'.

You don't *need* to fly to Malaga for £19 to burn your skin and then cost a fortune to the NHS, for example (and wouldn't want to go there, especially in the summer, even for free).

Cheers, T i m

[1] Well, we sorta do in that we have a multipoint gas water heater but it actually get's used so little (electric shower, cold fill washing machine and dishwasher), it could be replaced with an electric alternative.
Reply to
T i m

And increasingly wind power does NOT reduce the amount of gas as the gains from te turbinbes are offset by the massive up and down characteristics of what the gas power staions have to produce.

Every time you turn a gas power staion off, you have to waste all that gas turning it back on and getting it up to temperature.

Its efficiency goes to hell.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I certainly think Fracking would allow us to avoid the costly mistake of renewables long enough to get nuclear power installled.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not to develop our own fracking gas resources would be criminal. Even though they've withdrawn from it, the US has managed to lower it's CO2 output to below that demanded by the Paris Agreement, by taking advantage of fracked gas!

Reply to
Chris Hogg

About time they designed gas fired power stations fit for purpose, then.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In article snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk>, "Dave Plowman (News)" snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk> writes

Yup. Anti-cylconic winter nights.

Theoretically could but never been known.

That doesn't answer this particular point. Building nukes solves both arguments. Despatchable and CO2 free.

Reply to
bert