OT: T'Interweb & laptops.

Sometimes, yes. But lowend laptops often = poor design IME.

It's not always the case though, I've a 450MHz sony vaio laptop here (was fairly high end in it's day mind) that has a battery so knackered it doesn't even manage to complete the POST. It won't boot at all without it, but plugged in with battery fitted works fine.

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

trouble with laptops is that they cost about twice as much as a normal PeeCee for similar performance.

If anyone wants one, I've got a halfway decent acer aspire 1640 recovered from a stupid relative ('its making a buzzy noise so I bought a MAC' - I bent the heatsink away from the fan where it had ended up after being dropped and the buzz went away) one with no battery, and loaded with a fully working linux, and open office setup (Debian) . Works on wireless OK though there is a magic key you have to press to enable that.

I am sticking to my small desktop machine..stay at home bugger that I am.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

A printer server eg.

you read the reviews of this and similar you will tend to find extremely bimodal feedback of mostly 1/5 and 5/5 that averages to 3/5 since unless you realy know what you are doing they can be rather tetchy to get working properly.

(and some may not get on with older OS's and/or Apples)

Reply to
Martin Brown

Or multifunction devices (can often get the printer bit working, but not the scanner)

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

I completely agree. I just have desktops in different rooms!

Nothing beats the Model M keyboard on each of them...

Reply to
Bob Eager

No kids or streaming video then? Looks like there has been a fair bit of YouTubeing today, 1.77GB download... A "normal day" is somewhere between 500 and 800MB download. Note day not month, monthly useage is around 25GB (+/-5GB).

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

similar here.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No, just me and email, uk.d-i-y, mainly text based web-sites.

That was a 3MB top up which implies ~ 2359MB in 18 days, but I've been busy of late with some large reports and files to distribute and some photos uploaded to flickr.

Reply to
djc

In its original form and purpose, I agree. But a nice little Linux box to put in your pocket.

Anyway, it's state of the art compare to some of my stuff!

Reply to
Bob Eager