Australians moving house

I am currently watching (well I'm not but son has it on) a YouTube video about Australians moving a house . They literally pick it up and move it . Why is it considered better to move the house than just sell it and build new at the destination. Is transport that cheap in Aus or is it so expensive to buy/build new

Reply to
soup

Jim Stewart ...

That happens in the USA as well.

Didn't someone move a lighthouse back from a crumbling cliff edge here in the UK? There you are:

Graham Harrison

So they moved it 17m, and by the sounds of it the cliff has moved 11m since then ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Houses in this country are usually built of brick. In the USA, they are usually timber. That makes them far easier to transport.

Didn't Donald Trump's grandfather float his brothel down a river?

Reply to
GB

Also done with one of the smaller temples in that were going to be flooded by the Aswan Dam in Egypt.

Colin Bignell

But that is an historical building not your run-of-the-mill Queensland "high-set".

Reply to
soup

But that is an historical building not your run-of-the-mill Queensland "high-set".

Reply to
soup

Impressive though

Reply to
Colin Bignell

Lots on Youtube eg -

wasbit

Also used to be quite commonplace in NZ.

The first time I saw a used house lot I was a little bemused.

Also, for larger houses they chain saw them into chunks to make them easier to move, then stitch them back together at the new location.

Mind you, the ones I saw were pretty crap, and you would have to be desperate to buy one instead of building new.

I think that sometimes/often they buy a plot with an old house and then ship it to the used house lot before building new.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

There is no limit to human ambition.

That one is likely staying on the same plot of land. I don't think that would steer very well on public roads.

This is what it looks like, when you lift a smaller one.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

When Ceausescu decided to flatten huge parts of Bucharest to make room for that gargantuan folly, a local architect managed to save a couple of historic brick-built buildings by sliding them along some sort of greasy tracks with lots of RSJ's taking the strain, to a new location.

Reply to
Andrew