OT: Surround Sound?

Haver to say that the few soundbars I've heard have been pretty good. Not 'hifi' by any means but decent in the way that the sound should have been in the first place.

Rob

Reply to
RJH

RTFM? There may be either an RCA socket or optical connector on the back, near all the other sockets.

What set is it? A search for it on Google should let you find a manual, or the spec should be on the maker's or a retailer's site somewhere.

Reply to
John Williamson

We have surround sound; it came with a similar 'mapping' thing.

I do quite like it, but the fundamental problem with it is that the sound is optimised for a single position in the room; in the real world, where a family of four or five people are sitting watching TV, the majority of the audience (ie, all but one!) whinge that the system is way off-balance; ie all they can hear is the rear-right or rear-left speaker. (By pure concidence, my usual seat happens to be more or less in the centre of the room, but hey...)

David

Reply to
Lobster

You must sit very close to the TV if you get decent stereo from a soundbar.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Use ordinary 1.5mm TW&E. Best value for speaker cable under the floor etc. Use a flex from output to the speaker.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ah good to know, thanks. (As that's not stranded, does that mean strands are bad...?)

For faceplates, I was going to go for spring clips, ie something like

- is that sensible? Don't like the idea of the type with banana plugs, sticking out into the room - bound to get clobbered I'd have thought.

Thanks David

Reply to
Lobster

or a *lapsed* Plymouth Brethren?

[The true Plymouth Brethren won't have anything to do with electronic communications like Usenet/email/web; so any of you traders who really, really hate HMRC's online filing and what an exemption know where to join up ;) ]
Reply to
Robin

how can one person be "a brethern"? Brethren is the plural of Brother.

Reply to
charles

At audio frequencies it makes no difference whether stranded or solid. Except obviously a flexible cable makes more sense from outlet to speaker.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It doesn't matter, the sky box has digital audio out. The only problem would be if he wanted to watch the TV without using the sky box.

Reply to
dennis

Thats a bit thin, 2.5 mm T&E is not much more expensive.

Reply to
dennis

TVs may have a sound delay in them to keep the picture and sound in sync. Feed the sound direct from an STB and you loose that.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Perhaps its a matter of taste, but personally I hate those things, and would much rather have binding post that will also take a 4mm plug.

Reply to
John Rumm

The sky box has an adjustable delay.

Reply to
dennis

Partly that is a case of how its set out and where you put the speakers in relation to the seating. Easier to get acceptable results for multiple viewers in larger rooms than small needless to say.

Reply to
John Rumm

Do you have a radio? That's like a dumbed-down version of television, in that it lacks the moving pictures.

Reply to
Jules Richardson

I'd go for Speakon connectors:-

one type. they fit a standard backbox.

Right angle plugs to match, so nothing sticks out to get kicked:-

connection with either company, by the way, just the first of many links on Google.

Easy to disconnect for cleaning and maintenance, and hard for little fingers to poke stuff into. They're also robust electrically and physically. They're only used for speakers, so it's hard to plug the wrong things together.

Overkill, maybe, but not *that* expensive.

Reply to
John Williamson

It's the other way round. TV is radio for those without the imagination to make the pictures inside their head.

AKA Wireless With Pictures (for the hard of thinking).

Reply to
John Williamson

The poster thought that anyone reading it would understand that he meant "member of the Plymouth Brethren". Evidently he was wrong. You can't underestimate ...

Reply to
polygonum

And Usenet is even further dumbed-down - no sound either. :-)

(Yes - I do know about binary groups...)

Reply to
polygonum