OT: Straw poll

No, pet. If I ever buy anything that requires ironing - by mistake - it goes straight to the charity shop the next day. But I can use a sewing machine.

I was thinking of someone answering a query on the phone which might just need a brain cell - rather different from just answering it. Do you know the difference?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Oh you MUST gut them first. Stomach contents are so unplatable second time around.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That's not very left wing now is it Dave? :-)

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

Now then, we can push this back on topic. I have a Seiko ST8-W industrial machine that I am having difficuly with. It has been serviced three times by the local expert, but I am convinced it requires setting up.

As the bobbin hook comes round to pick up the thread, it will catch on the underside of the plate that the needle runs through (Sole plate?). Before I had it, this problem was overcome by inserting a piece of vinyl as a spacer. It is my opinion that the whole bobbin mechanism is set too high. Said local expert is never there when I ring and as I have my car seats to stitch, I could do with sorting it.

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

I always ask myself two questions:

1) Are they honest? 2) Are they competent?

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

When you get it sorted, any chance of doing the leather driver's seat on my SD1? ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The left wing side of me says a mother with pre-school age children shouldn't have to work. Or should have access to a decent standard low cost nursery.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Anything for you me old fruit, evem though I have an aversion to dead animal remains in a car!

If serious, I will let you know when it's all running and you can send / bring me the cover. Won't take more than a few minutes.

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

The right wing side of me, says that she should keep her legs closed until she has the means to provide for the offspring, unaided by benefits. :-)

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

Then again - the birth rate is rather low.

The argument could be made that if you could get more babies now, when the welfare state is more or less coping, get the mothers back to work rapidly, with subsidised child care, though it's a net loss for some

5-16 years (depending on how you measure it) over the life of the child, it'll pay back taxes and keep OAPs in gruel.
Reply to
Ian Stirling

Err, I was meaning the father should be able - or forced - to provide for both. But with excessive accommodation prices, and low wages for many, it means this sometimes just isn't possible. And I think very young children not being bonded properly with their mother - and often father, again through long hours at work etc - does no good whatsoever for society in the long run.

But taking a child to work ain't the answer.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I pay Rentokil a lot of money each year to keep my factories clear of animals and insects and would expect suppliers to do the same. However, that is industry specific. If this were my first meeting with a new supplier and I was bringing in that much business, I would expect them to pull out all the stops to look professional. Having a young child in the office would definitely not give the impression that they were doing so, unless there were particularly unusual circumstances and those were explained. It suggests you don't really care what impression you make, which, in turn, suggests that you might be just as offhand about the quality and promptness of your supplies.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Old leather is often better hand sewn than machine sewn. If you're re-making a seam in sound leather, sew it by hand and use the old holes. Otherwise you make a second line of perforations close to the old seam line and in a leather seat, that's a significant weakness.

If you do sew leather, you need a machine physically big enough to fit the material under it (this may indeed be tricky, especially for repairs in the middle of things). Secondly you need a proper leather needle and thread that's appropriately strong. You do _not_ need some extra-powerful machine to do it with - a normal domestic is entirely capable, unless you're doing production speeds.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

It's the side bolster panels which have split and will have to be replaced rather than a seam come apart.

Interesting. I've got an ancient hand operated Singer which is rather more robust than many modern machines. Could you use this to punch the holes in the new leather then stitch by hand?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You could sew with it entirely .

Reply to