OT; starting a blog.

How does one go about it?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Add some bloggy software stuff to a folder on your site.

Reply to
mogga

or use one of the existing blog sites like blogger...

Reply to
John Rumm

On Sunday 22 September 2013 16:30 The Medway Handyman wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Blogger.com (another Google offering).

:)

Reply to
Tim Watts

You want to watch it does not become an Albatross. I used to do something similar way back before thE Internet, and it bcame increasingly difficult to fill it. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Starting one is not a problem. Keeping it interesting enough for anybody to want to read it is.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Don't write a blog, if you want to keep a diary/journal do so, but blogs tend to be very wordy and interesting at first but soon you (TINY) run out of things/ideas to keep it interesting.

soup

If you allow other people to post on your blog it is usually interesting. You just have to moderate it every day and have other moderators to help! If you get millions of views per year you will have to pay for the hosting.

Reply to
Matty F

uk.d-i-y is your blog Dave.

Reply to
Graham.

Half the problem is getting a decent format. I don't mean deciding on what to use as wallpaper. You want a page that is easy to post to. These days pe ople access things via mobile phones.

But most sites such as the one I use My Opera has a variety of interfaces t hat you don't ever see. But you have to bear in mind what others will see. Pictures and such stuff are everything. Then there is spam and censoring. M yOpera use moderators. Others such as Word Press won't have moderators in o verall charge of dumping your arse. But as someone said that could be a bad thing.

Personally I am all for too much freedom and the application of common sens e as and when needed. You can lose all your work if some overzealous knut d ecides to lose you. And they are not even officially employed by the websit e.

Once you register you can not only look around with access to most features but you can comment on other people's blogs. Always be polite. And keep aw ay from idiots whose thoughts upset you.

Then all you have to do is decide what you wish to put on yours. Put all so rts in so that when anyone looks in, they won't know what is going to keep them there.

Most interesting blogs give unplanned insights into the writers thoughts an d lifestyle. Comments you makew on the things you have written show not onl y your cultural viewpoint but how your ideas or emotions have changed.

Keep it all low key unless the Americans vote for another chimpanzee. Anyth ing goes when they do that -as they will from time to time. It can be heart

-breaking and very funny. The worst that can happen (besides overweight, ov erwrought, fascists coming to your home and killing you) is that you will e nd up glad you are not American.

But most people already are. How different to when I was a lad....

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

On Monday 23 September 2013 21:30 Weatherlawyer wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Blogger and Wordpress both have apps (Android at least) that makes posting pretty easy.

Reply to
Tim Watts