OT Sometimes you really wonder about people

Life is a little like that, is it not?

Reply to
Bob Henson

I always have a good read of the manual, but only after having had a play first.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

I must admit that I use my passenger mirror mainly for parking: auto-angled downwards to see my nearside rear wheel so I turn into a parking space just before it touches the kerb, when parallel parking. Or when reversing into a gateway or parking bay, when I alternate between both mirrors to check that I am equidistant from the gateposts, hedges or white lines.

In normal driving I check it less often than the central rear-view mirror or the driver's-side mirror.

I suppose I'd use it more if I was on a dual-carriageway, when I'd use it to check that I was safely past the car that I'd just overtaken and could pull in again.

But I think I'd notice if it wasn't there, as soon as I got into the car and did the automatic "pre-flight" checks:

- waggle gear lever to prove it's in neutral

- ignition and oil lights come on, and then go out when engine is started

- oil *level* gauge (on my previous Pug 306s) shows full before starting engine

- fuel level

- mirrors set

- seat feels in the right place, especially after my wife has driven

I know I should do the all-round exterior light-bulb check as well. But that is a right faff to do. I do at least check their reflections in garage door or car in front (while stopped in a queue).

Having said that, I'd driven for several days - maybe as much as week, before discovering that my (tungsten) daylight running lights had failed, and I only learned that because the garage couldn't get the diagnostic port to work, and that was off the same fuse. I *should* have noticed the lack of their reflection off the car in front.

Reply to
NY

Do modern cars still have printed manuals ?. My neighbour didn't get one with his new Toyota Corolla. He complained and it was months before one arrived in the post.

Reply to
Andrew

My 67 plate did, but no service/log book, all digital.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I have one for my Passat but it is hugely complex as VW have covered several different models rather than it being specific to my car:-(

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I got a Quick Start one with my S-Max last December. The full one is in the FordPass app, which is a nuisance. And it has a bad user interface.

Reply to
Bob Eager

2021 Renault still came with a substantial book.

nib

Reply to
nib

MG 4 comes with a built in manual that can be displayed on its screen, but it can also be downloaded as a PDF from MG's website and then viewed or printed on a PC.

Reply to
SteveW

A user manual, yes.

Workshop manuals are still produced by Haynes, as far as I am aware.

Reply to
JNugent

For popular cars, yes. For the rest, there's (for Ford, at least) a manufacturer's database, available as some kind of virtual machine running on Windows. Not the most convenient thing.

Reply to
Joe

They even do one for the starship Enterprise. I don't think they are manufacturer commissioned.

There was a rival firm in the 1960s from whom I bought a manual for my Anglia. "If the wipers fail to operate, Connect a 1-15v voltmeter across the motor terminals and check that a current of 5 amps is being drawn"

I ret my case,

Reply to
charles

How would a voltmeter do that?

Did they mean a multimeter?

Reply to
JNugent

Mostly.

Bob Eager

I have one of those. Looks a bit bootleg to me, but it's OK.

Reply to
Bob Eager

My point exactly

If it was connected across the terminals, it could only measure voltage

Reply to
charles

A friend told me that the Haynes manual for a classic Mini had a section on the rear brakes or suspension (I can't remember which), which ended with "Re-assembly is not necessarily the reverse of disassembly." How useless is that?

Reply to
SteveW

:-)

They were always useful for guiding the non-expert through a decoke.

You could even borrow them out of the library.

Reply to
JNugent

They could be very useful at times, but I also remember my dad needing to change the clutch on an Austin 1800. According to Haynes, it was an engine out job - my dad managed to prove that it could be done without and saved himself a fair bit of work.

Reply to
SteveW