OT: slightly Legal ways to water the garden

I've been following the recent hose pipe bans to the letter (I think).
I am aware that according to the law I can do more.
Currently I fill water butt from a hose (when required) and then fill watering cans from the water butt.
I believe that I could simply put a hose pipe into the watering can and then water the garden using the hose to refill the watering can continuously? Is this correct?
If so could this be taken a stage further i.e?
Fill the water butt from a hose, and then attach another hose to the tap of the water butt and water that way??
Oh and moving up north if not an option btw.
Thanks
|I've been following the recent hose pipe bans to the letter (I think).
We just put a few dustbins under the eaves of the garage. Totally legal and they are still half full of rainwater. Not that it matters because Yorkshire has lots of water :-) Garden still green :-)
--
Dave Fawthrop <dave hyphenologist co uk> Google Groups is IME the *worst*
Dave Fawthrop wrote:

Not on the west edge of York this morning. My shower was distinctly lacking in water this morning.
The radio was reporting that following a brief power cut in the night the automatic balancing systems thought the local water tower was empty. It wasn't. They tried to pump water into the system as if it was empty and burst about a dozen water mains affecting over 500 properties. Oops.
Still, some of it was back on by lunchtime, so although it shouldn't have happened, they're restoring supply pretty quickly.
--
Steve F

It is perfectly legal to clean animal shelters with a hose pipe. If you have dog put his kennel on the lawn and give it a really good hoseing out twice a day. Or buy a rabbit and keep the hutch on the lawn cleaning it daily. :-)

Yeah great. Of course you will ALL run out of water that much sooner.

You have not looked at the law very closely.

Not legal. The use of hosepipes is banned with a few well documented exceptions.

No as above.

No as above.

No no as above.
Peter Crosland
Peter On that point I know your wrong on the RHS and Thames water sites it clearly stated you can refill watering cans via a hose
I was just interested how far the law stretched

You are breaking the law. That still constitutes using a hosepipe to water a domestic garden, using mains water.

You cannot even use the hose to refill the can after emptying it.
Colin Bignell
On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 21:58:46 +0100, "nightjar" <nightjar@<insert my surname here>.uk.com> wrote:

Hmm, Mum phoned Thames Water re this the other day (we are currently under a hose-pipe-ban) and specifically asked if it was ok to fill her water butts from the hose?
Just as you can still fill a swimming pool or pressure wash yer patio etc?
Not saying it's right, just that what you can do legally?
For all of the 26 years we have lived here we have only had one toilet and for most of that time it's had a split flush. I rarely wash cars / bikes or the patio and have no garden front and back. We all generally take showers (and not 10 times / day) rather than bath and don't 'run the tap' apart when it's needed to fill something.
The only reason we aren't on a water meter is our water rates are so low that it wouldn't make any difference? Neither would it moderate our water usage.
Whist I drive past all the local car wash places and see rows of cars being washed when we might actually run out of water for essential tasks I don't consider it a problem if people fill a water butt with a hose to then water garden 'produce' (specifically) with a can?
All the best ..
T i m
T i m wrote:

So what was their answer?
On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 09:45:55 +0100, T i m wrote

.. and what did they say, Tim?

Oh, sorry guys .. they said that "filling a water butt with a hosepipe was fine" .
I think pre practical issue here is that if you apply the water with a watering can you have some idea of how much water you are using. Also less chance of leaving the lawn sprinkler all night, mainly watering the patio and next door's fence?
All the best ..
T i m
On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 20:20:36 +0100, T i m wrote

Marvellous.
I'm sending them a weekly fax listing all the obvious leaks that I notice locally and that they haven't fixed and sending a copy to Ofwat.
I don't really expect them to do anything, but there will be copies of these sent back to them with the next account and again with copies to Ofwat.
Then, come winter time, I can get my Victor Meldrew starter kit out of the wardrobe.

I can't say I've seen a leak round here for years? (as in water pouring out into / up from the road)?

If nothing it will remind them where they are Andy ;-)

LOL
The frustrating thing for me is water is probably given a lower priority than say gas because if it leaks it (generally) doesn't kill anyone? We have recently had all the roads up around here while they thread new plastic gas pipes up the steel / iron ones. Meanwhile the water pipes remain 'as is'?
The other frustration is that they wait till these '150 year old pipes' are 150 years old and leaking *before* they do anything about them .. poxy bean counters running the world now though eh ..? ;-(
All the best ..
T i m
T i m wrote:

I thought this was the case everywhere (where there's a hosepipe ban) and in particular my area which is supplied by 3 valleys. Going on their website now though says something like "after some legal consultment filling water butts with a hose is NOT allowed under a hosepipe ban". Whether that is just their interpretation or the actual law though is another thing but I guess moot as they can probably make the rules up as they go along.
On 19 Jul 2006 03:39:31 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

And along from that do we know anyone that has actually been prosecuted for ignoring the ban?
I mean, how come all these hand car wash places are still running? I believe in Germany the only place you can get your car washed is in an official 'car wash' (maybe only during a water shortage or summat) because all their water is re-cycled locally? (Not like the hand wash places here were it all goes straight down the drain). If *I* was in power, folk wanting to wash their cars during a water shortage should only be able to do it from sealed bottle water bottles they bring with them. ;-)
All the best ..
T i m
T i m wrote:

It's true - one is only allowed to wash one's car at an offical licenced car washing place. I wondered why I was gettting funny looks from people when I washed mine with a hose outside my house when I was first there. It's soemthing to do with the detergent getting into the system rather than conservation.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

Makes Part Pee look positively libertarian
Owain
Owain wrote:

Ironically, my bathroom there had a washing machine and open electrical sockets in it and I melted another socket (in the kitchen) by plugging in an iron.
..and the germans are relaxed compared to the Swiss....
Dry Garden wrote:

More fool you. There is no water shortage whatsoever. There is a huge waste of water caused by leaks, but the privatised water companies only care about shareholders. They have lost the plot completely.
--
Dave
The Medway Handyman