OT: slightly Legal ways to water the garden

I've been following the recent hose pipe bans to the letter (I think).

I am aware that according to the law I can do more.

Currently I fill water butt from a hose (when required) and then fill watering cans from the water butt.

I believe that I could simply put a hose pipe into the watering can and then water the garden using the hose to refill the watering can continuously? Is this correct?

If so could this be taken a stage further i.e?

Fill the water butt from a hose, and then attach another hose to the tap of the water butt and water that way??

Oh and moving up north if not an option btw.

Thanks

Reply to
Dry Garden

|I've been following the recent hose pipe bans to the letter (I think).

We just put a few dustbins under the eaves of the garage. Totally legal and they are still half full of rainwater. Not that it matters because Yorkshire has lots of water :-) Garden still green :-)

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

It is perfectly legal to clean animal shelters with a hose pipe. If you have dog put his kennel on the lawn and give it a really good hoseing out twice a day. Or buy a rabbit and keep the hutch on the lawn cleaning it daily. :-)

Reply to
dcbwhaley

You have not looked at the law very closely.

Not legal. The use of hosepipes is banned with a few well documented exceptions.

No as above.

No as above.

No no as above.

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

You are breaking the law. That still constitutes using a hosepipe to water a domestic garden, using mains water.

You cannot even use the hose to refill the can after emptying it.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Yeah great. Of course you will ALL run out of water that much sooner.

Reply to
Dave

More fool you. There is no water shortage whatsoever. There is a huge waste of water caused by leaks, but the privatised water companies only care about shareholders. They have lost the plot completely.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 17:45:35 +0100, a particular chimpanzee named "Dry Garden" randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

Hose pipe ban? What's one of them, then?

I'm just about to use a hose pipe to wash my car. If it doesn't rain in the next couple of days, I may have to get the sprinkler out for the lawn.

Your loss.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

Peter On that point I know your wrong on the RHS and Thames water sites it clearly stated you can refill watering cans via a hose

I was just interested how far the law stretched

Reply to
Dry Garden

Hmm, Mum phoned Thames Water re this the other day (we are currently under a hose-pipe-ban) and specifically asked if it was ok to fill her water butts from the hose?

Just as you can still fill a swimming pool or pressure wash yer patio etc?

Not saying it's right, just that what you can do legally?

For all of the 26 years we have lived here we have only had one toilet and for most of that time it's had a split flush. I rarely wash cars / bikes or the patio and have no garden front and back. We all generally take showers (and not 10 times / day) rather than bath and don't 'run the tap' apart when it's needed to fill something.

The only reason we aren't on a water meter is our water rates are so low that it wouldn't make any difference? Neither would it moderate our water usage.

Whist I drive past all the local car wash places and see rows of cars being washed when we might actually run out of water for essential tasks I don't consider it a problem if people fill a water butt with a hose to then water garden 'produce' (specifically) with a can?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

So what was their answer?

Reply to
google

Not on the west edge of York this morning. My shower was distinctly lacking in water this morning.

The radio was reporting that following a brief power cut in the night the automatic balancing systems thought the local water tower was empty. It wasn't. They tried to pump water into the system as if it was empty and burst about a dozen water mains affecting over 500 properties. Oops.

Still, some of it was back on by lunchtime, so although it shouldn't have happened, they're restoring supply pretty quickly.

Reply to
Fitz

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 09:45:55 +0100, T i m wrote (in article ):

.. and what did they say, Tim?

Reply to
Andy Hall

Oh, sorry guys .. they said that "filling a water butt with a hosepipe was fine" .

I think pre practical issue here is that if you apply the water with a watering can you have some idea of how much water you are using. Also less chance of leaving the lawn sprinkler all night, mainly watering the patio and next door's fence?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Just makes you think: With all the demand for property down south with huge diffs in prices due to demand. What would happen if it did dry up, would people move north??

Legin

Reply to
legin

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 20:20:36 +0100, T i m wrote (in article ):

Marvellous.

I'm sending them a weekly fax listing all the obvious leaks that I notice locally and that they haven't fixed and sending a copy to Ofwat.

I don't really expect them to do anything, but there will be copies of these sent back to them with the next account and again with copies to Ofwat.

Then, come winter time, I can get my Victor Meldrew starter kit out of the wardrobe.

Reply to
Andy Hall

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 20:39:41 +0100, legin wrote (in article ):

It would take more than that. Learning the language would be a major cost factor.

Reply to
Andy Hall

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 23:07:42 +0100, Andy Hall had this to say:

We'd manage.

:-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 23:30:13 +0100, Frank Erskine wrote (in article ):

Yes, I know you would, Frank.

I'm more worried about Birmingham. I've never quite understood how a million people could have a speech impediment.

Reply to
Andy Hall

On 18 Jul 2006 12:39:41 -0700, a particular chimpanzee named "legin" randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

No, they'd take it from the North (or Wales, as Birmingham & Liverpool did), along with our resources, labour, skills, etc. as they have been doing for the last hundred years.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula