OT: SitRep Morrisons

Arnchair expertise?

Reply to
Jimk

To Morrisons Canterbury today. They have barriers up for queueing just like at the airport. You take your trolley with you in the Q. This is just the Q to get in the store; while waiting you respect the pavement markings of two metres separation.

Then they let you in, presumably balancing input to output, so you may have to wait a few minutes to get in, but overall the Q wasn't that long. People density inside quite low, so generally easy to maintain separation.

No flour, yeast, chicken thighs, only Heinz beans (again) but pretty much everything else including loo rolls. I don't know what the purchase limits are, we wanted a couple of butter blocks and a couple of Flora but seems Flora counts as butter so we gave up a Flora.

Q for tills organised inside the store in much the same way, but a lot shorter queuing length than outside (unsurprising). Only one of each pair of tills in operation. This maintains the person spacing. You are directed to a till from the head of the Q by a staff person. Large perspex screen between you and the till person.

Overall, well organised, I thought.

Reply to
Tim Streater
<snip>

So no chicken pasties for you then? ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Posting from a Greenbee account, that'll be poulet en croute :-)

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Yes, of course. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Thanks for this - I went to Waitrose today on the assumption that it would be civilised there; it was, of course, but knowing that Morrisons is doing things well is useful - to the tune of about 10 quid today. Not worried about the extra cash really - when I used Morrisons I'd go across to the Malt Shovel and spend £12+! anyway.

Reply to
PeterC

but they'd be shut.

Reply to
charles

Much the same for the 'oldies hour' at our small local Tesco. Got there early, 9AM, and the well-spaced queue was quite short. One out - one in, a bit like a barrier-operated full car park! Went round the store in a singe file crocodile, always 2 metres behind the person in front. If someone stopped to browse, we all stopped. Took me about 30 minutes, I suppose, but shelves pretty well stocked. When I came out, directed through the emergency exit to avoid the people coming in, the queue had grown considerably and was all the way to the end of the car park. A few people tried to remonstrate with the staff and claim special treatment, but didn't get it. Good!

Reply to
Chris Hogg

It's what our Aldi are doing.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Precisely. That's why I'm spending less overall. 3 or 4 times in the pub, tips to the staff...

Reply to
PeterC