OT; Should I or shouldn't I?

8>< snip

Get a little man in. c",)

Reply to
Lino expert

I remember being contacted by a regional ITV company for some work on a programme being shot in London. When they asked my rates, they said 'too high - we're a regional company and pay regional rates, not London ones.'

So I suggested they either don't shoot in London, or ferry their 'own people' in at their usual rates. As if they didn't already know this. I got the job. At my rates.

You pay the rate for the area. Regardless of where you earn your money.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

ar

Get a man in, I might not show him out? :o/

Reply to
Lino expert

If you don't mind sharing, how does that equate to typical take-home pay per week? I've got no idea what typical job length would be.

My initial thought was that those numbers are high - but I know that's because I do all my work myself, so the concept of paying anyone to do it for me seems expensive ;-) If you've got plenty of work, those numbers are obviously fair enough...

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Little? First I've heard of *that*. It should be GAMI, IMNSHO.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Seems to me that with plenty of work coming in then there's probably room for at least a few % increase on prices, maybe a fiver on the hourly rate, might well end up working a few less hours per week for the same money. What I most certainly wouldn't want to do is encourage little 1 hour jobs by reducing the 1 hour charge, surely 2 x 4 hour jobs a day is much better than 8 x 1 hour jobs - in terms of travelling time and paperwork at least.

Reply to
airsmoothed

Nice try, you son of a silly person.

Reply to
Tim Streater

FWIW the numbers look low compared with London proper, even this grotty bit of London (because the good guys can get work in the nearby posh bits like Islington etc). I suspect that Medway Towns now has a similarly wide range of household income with quite a lot of people very comfortable indeed. The area became more of a commuter zone for banking and other bits of the finance sector with the development of docklands and ~10 years ago I used to come across quite a few people in Medway Towns with incomes >£100,000. So there may also be an element of "positioning" in the market

Reply to
Robin

I doubt his customers will out-source their handywork to China...

Long way to go to assemble an Ikea bed.

Reply to
Ron Lowe

Except that TMH and similar tout themselves as being willing to do the small jobs that others won't touch. I'd have thought, have too high a first-hour fee and cynics will soon start to chip in with rude comments.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Get A Little Man In.

Reply to
Skipweasel

Think Margo in "The Good Life".

Reply to
Skipweasel

I don't think so.

Have you ever been there? It is not a place that people aspire to live (even the best bits)

tim

Reply to
tim....

Even some of the houseboat moorings are free.

Reply to
John Williamson

15 years ago, my overheads, as team leader were £60-00 an hour.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

thinking I should maybe increase my prices?

plenty of work coming in.

to £25.

Bloody 'ell, is it really 5 years since you posted a similar message about re-gigging your pricing?

Reply to
Graham.

Rite, I'll look out for that the next time we watch it, ta.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Yes, albeit only occasionally since I lived there in 1956

Ouch! I did say "wide range". Much of Medway is deprived (like the bit where I lived in 1955-6). But Medway ain't in the same league as Liverpool, Middlesbrough, Manchester, Knowsley, Kingston upon Hull, Hackney, Tower Hamlets, etc. There are allegedly more than 1 in 5 households with income over £40,000 and several rural parishes.

Reply to
Robin

Also better than the Potteries where I live, where over half of all households are said to be "economically inactive", and a sizeable number of those are the second generation of signers-on in the family.

If I could bear being that close to The Smoke, I'd be happy to live on a Medway free mooring.

Reply to
John Williamson

I don't do monthly accounts. Over 80% of my work is cash on completion.

But thanks for the thoughts.

Thank you kind sir :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman