OT Should have gone to Specsavers

Whether or not it's true, the motive for saying it now is to promote her book.

Reply to
Bob Eager

to publicise her book

(and to further her feminist cause)

tim

Reply to
tim...

Are you saying that you could know somebody for the best part of half a century and not have a fair idea about how truthful they are?

Reply to
Nightjar

I think that junior lecturers, who were often not much older than the students, saw it as a perk of the job. However, when I was at university one professor was noted for his predilection for bedding female first year students.

Reply to
Nightjar

Absolutely. Pathological liars are the best actors there are.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I didn't say anything. I asked two questions, neither of which you answered.

Reply to
Richard

An alleged lecher.

Reply to
ARW

I did answer your first question. However, if you can't understand the answer; she believes her because she has known her long enough to be able to make that judgement with reasonable certainty. As for the second question, I have no idea and nor do I plan to cross-examine her to satisfy your curiosity.

Reply to
Nightjar

Is anyone going to buy the book because that is in it? It's something which reviewers have picked up on, seems a bit of a non story to me. It's clearly a bit different to the usual politician's memoir.

Reply to
newshound

Why do people buy these types of books ? Never having brought one I don't know.

It's something

Reply to
whisky-dave
[76 lines snipped]

Except in politics.

Reply to
Huge

I don't know who you have in mind.

I'm not saying that politicians are all particularly admirable, but I think this is true of any who make it to the top:

"But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career."

(Not my grammatical error).

Reply to
newshound

snip

That's why I was commenting. Your figures suggest an equal proportion fo women as men wanted to do physics.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

It;s what they have problems understanding here, they seem to want more wom en doing engineering but don;t seem to be intrested in gettign women in at the 'bottom' level all they want to do is promte the women to higher level s so they get specail help from the athena swan group. I agree perhaps more women should be engineers but our admin dept. is 85% w omen ans ther;s no intersting in getting men more interested in admin.

I even heard about a research study done here, I heard about it on This wee k in science TWIS. Basicaly they ask for studetn volenteers so they could test if playing comp uter games help them become more dextrous or hand-eye co-ordination imporve d after game playing. I remmebr the email asling for participants it said s omething like staff or students needed for a couple of hours to play a comp uter game(s). Anyone can aplpy but they must play les sthan 4 hours a week on a computer. (can;t remmebr teh exact coult could have been 2 hours a day limit)

So the study in the end consisted of about ~20 women. swhy only women it was asked, well apparently they couldn't find any male t hat spend less than the stated time playing games .

Reply to
whisky-dave

ON the contrary success in politics demonstrates a talent or pathological lying, a very short memory and the willingness to do whatever it takes to get there.

Rare skills.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

but not if you a Labour woman who has been elevated there to meet the "quota"

tim

Reply to
tim...

Yep that's always been my point

It is unfair to everyone (men who unfairly get passed over, women who get unfairly promoted and women who are fairly promoted, plus the company who have to suffer the consequences of the first 2) to have equal quota of male/female managers if you don't have an (approx) equal number of male/female applicants at graduate entry level.

IME The graduate disparity in engineering is like 99 to 1. Overly promoting women in that circumstance is just nutty.

If you want to fix this problem you have to enact the solution at school level. Once you have missed that opportunity, you are stuck with it.

tim

Reply to
tim...

Is that still the case? That was the figure in degree course in 1959. Mind you SWMBOI has an answer. "Women are far too intelllegant to go into a badly paid profession."

Reply to
charles