OT: Shops in Scotland

Gentlemen north of the border,

Do any of you know the best shops in Scotland for sourcing Harris tweed clothing? I was told there were a bunch of them around the Royal Mile in Edinburgh, but that's touristy and therefore unduly pricey I would guess. I'm coming over the Scotland for a bit of long overdue sight-seeing next month and would appreciate a steer on the clobber front, cheers.

CD.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

There's one in the Victorian Market in Inverness and another along the River Ness, whose names I can't remember, but a Google search should help.

Reply to
S Viemeister

The Isle of Harris?

Reply to
Colin Bignell

Funnily enough, I think it’s mostly woven on Lewis.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I think you’ll be fleeced wherever you go for Harris tweed. Accept that position at the start and you won’t be disappointed. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Edinburgh Woollen Mill has shops all over the place (even in England). Spey Valley Shopping in Aviemore is worth checking out, as is House of Bruar on the A9 just past Blair Atholl. They usually have a sale with big reductions around November. Pitlochry has a few smaller shops. I haven't been in Inverness for a while, so I can't really say what's there. You could always check online.

Reply to
Custos Custodum

No such animal...

Reply to
zall

Not so. Whenever I come back to *anywhere* in the UK, just about everything becomes outstandingly good value. I expect to return with suitcases bulging with tweed, Pringles, Lyle & Scott et al, chortling heartily at the savings I've made.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Because you are a tax cheat.

Reply to
zall

Whatever man.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Yes, steer clear of the Royal Mile. Mostly tourist tat.

Kinloch Anderson in Leith have a very good reputation. Well worth a look.

Usual disclaimers.... no relation, etc.

Reply to
John Armstrong

Thanks. It won't put me out at all as Edinburgh is on my to-see list anyway. I'll check 'em out.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

That's where my kilt came from. Good quality, but not cheap.

Reply to
charles

Same island.

Reply to
newman

I know Harris and Lewis are one island, but the tweed is woven in the part called Lewis these days. Same as Cheddar cheese made in Scotland. Same island.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+