OT: Scottish Pumped Snake Oil, or does it make sense ?

I noticed this link on Investors Chronicle, to an article about a massive pumped storage proposal :-

Snake Oil or more sensible than the now aborted Baglan Bay barrier proposal in Wales ?.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

woo hoo the sooner we get independence the better......electric car and electric mopeds rule ....

Reply to
James Stewart

I don't see anyone agreeing to filling the site with sea water - and think of the corrosion problems.

Reply to
charles

after you english pay for it of course .....

Reply to
James Stewart

It's old news from 2015. Mearns discussed and dismantled it at the time.

Chris Hogg

Sea water soaking into the surrounding soil and rock would be potential problem, and would cause significant environmental opposition, I'm sure, but corrosion would not be a problem - think of the submerged tidal turbines in the Pentland Firth off John o' Groats and those in the tidal barrage of La Rance.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

I have read that La Rance does have major corrosion problems. I thought the Pentland Firth scheme had been abandoned,

Reply to
charles

Apparently not. Maybe in the early days, but they make extensive use of cathodic protection, which seems to have stopped any problems.

Not heard that. The most up-to-date info on the 'net dated August

2018, does say they've had unspecified problems with two of the four turbines and they are being 'retrieved'.
and
But in the first of those two articles, it says "Naval Energies, announced it was stopping investment in all tidal-turbine projects. The French company cited uncompetitive costs of energy creation, and an inability for the sector to compete with the more mature technology of fixed bottom offshore wind projects". I'm not aware of a connection between Naval Energie and Mygen, who are working in the Pentland firth.
Reply to
Chris Hogg

There was a wonderful spoof I heard the other day of a proposal to turn the channel tunnel into a tidal power generation scheme by making use of the tide time differences to generate power form turbines in the tunnels! No I doubt it would work but it gave me a laugh. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Pumped storage is all about providing continuity of supply across a day

It doesn't provide any new power, as the barrier was proposed to do

And if the variation of need across the day does fluctuate so that storage is necessary, pumped storage is usually the best way to provide it

tim

Reply to
tim...

Makes sense. Dunno about the salt water aspect of it. Incredibly expensive I should have thought.

Reply to
harry