OT - School closures

snip

So you would force teachers to live on the same run down council estates as the kids they teach?

Do you really think that teachers would take jobs in these schools if their kids had to go to the same schools?

Silly idea

Reply to
TMC

You can't walk to school. It's dangerous. There are all those dangerous SUVs around being driven by parents driving their kids to school because it is too dangerous to walk.

Reply to
Andrew May

Only if she's nice...

Yeah - slides were the best!

Reply to
Tim Watts

Looked at that years ago.

The instruction was report to your nearest school

Sort of worked for suburban schools where the teachers lived nearby, lots of walk in staff (local primary had 4 times the normal staff levels)

failed miserably for inner city and fringe council estate schools where no staff lived nearby

Oh what fun

Reply to
TMC

Not a good idea for teachers to live in their catchment area. Too much abuse from pupils. If a sink school best to live in the next town unless you live in a fortress.

They just wouldn't get any teachers. No teacher would want to teach at a sink school and risk injury/death of themself or family by living nearby.

Definitely. However, they should live within reasonable travelling distance

-- 15 milesish. If they can't get to their school, they shouldn't be paid unless they report in to another school where they could probably be usefully used.

Reply to
<me9

Did it work in rural areas though, where staff live in a different village or town within reach of another school?

Just because it didn't work in some special cases doesn't mean it couldn't be actioned where it would work...

Reply to
Tim Watts

One of the biggest drivers for consolidating small schools is the ability to offer a wider range of subjects than a small school can. It increases equality of opportunity and provides a access to better equipment and materials. I think on balance the benefits to the children of attending a large school over a small (say 100 pupil village school) outweigh the few days missed each year caused by bad weather.

Reply to
pete

But that school wouldn't have a CRB check for that teacher so AIUI the teacher wouldn't be able to take a class.

After all, just think how many paedophiles would be standing by with their false documentation ready for the bad weather to give them an excuse. And anything as simple as the school phoning the (alleged) teacher's normal place of work (or head at home if closed) to check their identity would manifestly not be sufficient. Remember that when it comes to the life of a child no price is too high (not even the price of ruining the lives of children).

Reply to
Robin

I am pretty sure the infant school age kids still get picked up and dropped off by their parents, obviously by car where possible. After all If the school is 1/2 a mile away then the parent has to walk a mile for each journey.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Simply can't agree with that at all.

To stop all children experimenting, developing confidence and self-reliance, to save a very few individuals is crazy. Life isn't safe. Little is exciting without an element of danger. Too many children are growing up, expecting everything to be done for them and we're a poorer country for it. Advances are made by the brave, not the frightened.

Reply to
Andy Cap

requirement

Not here, there are two primary schools ages 4-11, approx 100 and 30 pupils at each school and a secondary school ages 11-16, approx 200 pupils, no 6th Form. IIRC the secondary is the smallest secondary in the country.

Both Primarys have mixed age classes. The smaller only has three classes, Reception then Yrs 1/2 and Yrs 3/4/5/6. The larger primary four classes. Reception, Yrs 1/2, Yr 3 and Yrs 4/5/6.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Reply to
Clive George

When SWMBO worked as a teacher the rule was they had to report to a county school to get paid. The only time she couldn't get in she spent all morning trying to get into that county, 3 miles away. She gave up at lunchtime as all routes into the county were flooded enough to be impassable. The same day it took me until lunchtime to get the 4 miles I neded to go. At least it was on the easy side of the rivers.

Reply to
<me9

well thats what teachers should do - always been the case - over the years I've been told not to come in because we are elosed too. on one occasion I walked 3 miles in the snow to attend a 'local' school when I was told that I should go home.

Reply to
nnk

What most people "forget" is that most abuse is done by family members and they don't get a CRB check.

Reply to
dennis

You'll have the NUT after you, fancy making a suggestion that might interfere with teacher's extra paid holidays, useful things these H&S regs. Don

Reply to
Donwill

Last time we had heavy snow, local radio interviewed a few people. One was a young lad who said; "There is a sign on the school gate saying 'sorry school closed'. They don't need to be sorry, this is much more fun than going to school"!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

*If* you're referring to the sexual aspect, then the reason that is so prevalent is due to kids becoming isolated and poorly supervised by parents. There were several odd-balls about when I was a kid, but we were never alone,invariably going around in a gang and would have automatically have shared the knowledge. Adults who arrange to be one on one with kids, should *always* be carefully monitored, but again they can only get away with abusing their position, if those in authority are neglectful.
Reply to
Andy Cap

We weren't fussy......

Reply to
stuart noble

Getting further off topic but could not resist

Personally I would rather have spent more weeks of the year actually at school

Far too much is crammed into the time that the kids are required to attend both in terms of hours in the day and weeks in the year

I did not want to take 2 weeks off at Xmas so that the council could save money on school heating bills

I would have jumped at the chance to take a cheap holiday... but these only happen when the schools are open and the teachers working

As I see it schools should be open Monday to Friday 8.00am to 5.00pm every week except for Xmas and other bank holidays

Staff should work for these hours each week and never take work home

Parents evenings should never be evenings but fitted into the days or done on Saturdays with days off in lieu (well your optician dentist solicitor bank manager etc don't work evenings do they)

Staff holidays should be rotored as in other employments and holiday entitlement in line with other professions

Reply to
TMC