OT Rise of the suits.

Quite apart from this being ridiculous from a personal pov, the minister really ought to check if this is possible.

Usually, the Indian government will not give work visas to foreigners to be employed in the sector that is being transferred.

tim

Reply to
tim....

My wife is a local government employee approaching an allowed retirement age and is trying hard to get made redundant before she gets TUPE'd out again or the scheme changes. She gets about 75 percent what she would in the private sector.

Reply to
Hugh - Was Invisible

In message , harryagain writes

No - he's a hard working self employed tradesman who does a professional job.

I can testify to that

What do you do Harry, in between scraping the moss off your solar panels

Can't be much in the way of jobs for geriatrics in Wales

Reply to
geoff

That's the Australian system - every employer (including Greentram Software for me) has to pay and additional 9% of each employee's salary into a 'super[annuation] fund' of the employee's choice. You can top this up with a 'salary sacrifice' which gets tax relief. A friend of mine got divorced and part of the settlement was that her ex had to pay 9% of the maintenance into her super fund. If you've got enough in your pot to make it worthwhile, you can have a SMSF - self-managed super fund where, within the rules, you can invest as you choose. Gets rid of all of the complications of multiple jobs, changing jobs etc.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

There is no poverty in this country, unless you're a relativist, in which case your views have no basis in reality.

Reply to
Huge

Then as a kid you got free orange juice cod liver oil and milk at school. Think that happens in countries where there is true poverty?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You get free infant diarrhoea and die.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Indeed. That is the other nonsense of a "company pension fund". If you change jobs a lot or at any rate every two or three years, you end up with a dozen or so worthless pension pots.

Reply to
Tim Streater

In article , Dave Plowman (News) scribeth thus

Most all of it where I went used to get chucked away!.. Mind you there was more for me:))..

But I remember times in the late 50's when we didn't have quite enough to go round as "yer dads been laid off again" and being of good working class stock we didn't complain accepted it as it was and got on with it..

Now my daughter wants a new ifone as the one shes got is naff among her peers;(....

Reply to
tony sayer

Indeed. What I most notice is just how many toys kids have compared to when I was one. Now they need a play room to keep them in. When I were lad it was a small box.

Q someone who says they'd have killed for just the box to play with...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Tell her you'll fund a PAYG Samsung E1150i. It's all anyone really needs as a phone.

Reply to
Tim Streater

You 'ad a *Box*?

Etc., etc.....

Reply to
John Williamson

In article , Tim Streater scribeth thus

Re PAYG JOOI does the team think this is a good idea as they'll be the time when something's gone wrong somewhere shes perhaps stuck on her own and run out of credit.. Or perhaps do I worry as a parent too much?....

Reply to
tony sayer

Actually, it usually only happens to the poor and they don't really count.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

That's why ours don't have PAYG...especially the diabetic one. The phone has been vital on occasion.

I paid for a generous £15/month contract, with phone, for each of them. One decided he wanted an iPhone, so he covered the contract termination/ upgrade fee (most of it by selling the old phone). New one is £30/month, and I pay the first £15. If he spends more, he pays it.

Of course, the other one got an iPhone 2 weeks later.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Most PAYG phones can be topped up from any bank account if necessary, and most of them also have a reserve facility that lets you make a few calls, with the cost being taken from the next top-up. So, she can call or text you, and you can call her back, or top-up from your account on line. (Lecture optional)

Failing that, I've got a Vodaphone contract that costs under fifteen quid a month that gives me pretty much unlimited talktime. Others are even cheaper.

Reply to
John Williamson

So, where are the shanty towns made of rubbish and the starving in the streets begging for handouts?

Reply to
Huge

Be patient, the Olympics are *next* year. (That said, some Irish travellers have made an early start with their unauthorised occupation of land 350m or so from the electric fence around the Olympic park.)

Reply to
Robin

I'd have thought it a good lesson in money management. The model I mention is less than £8 at Argos, though you have to buy it with a minimum of £10 talk time. It's wired to T-mobile.

It's all I need as a mobile. If I decide I can't live without a small camera to film those earthquakes, bank heists, and volcanoes that I see on a daily basis, then I'll get an iPod Touch, which I can then use as a satnav. That would certainly help stop me going over Beachy Head so often or derailing so many trains.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Jesus, travellers aren't poor. Have you seen how much those caravans *cost*?

Reply to
Huge