OT Rise of the suits.

For shanty towns, you only need to go to Paris, where I could point you at a number. There aren't any here, only because the authorities are so strict in removing people from unwanted locations, which hides the problem to a certain extent.

Walk round Westminster at night, and you'll see quite a number of people in sleeping bags resting on pieces of cardboard. They all move on every morning, with or without persuasion from the police and the owners of the doorways. These are the ones that the homelessness charities can't or won't help. Similarly, Birmingham, Manchester.....

Go to Temple underground station every night, and watch the mobile soup kitchen dispensing food and sympathy to hundreds. (Other soup kitchens are available) Then walk round Westminster during the day and look at the beggars on the street.

some figures.

There are charities that have been set up to distribute unsellable (Close to its sell-by date, etc.) food from supermarkets to those in need, and others that put food boxes together for families that can afford either rent or food, but not both.

Reply to
John Williamson

My dad didn't get laid off. He died instead.

Actually we ended up better off, due to a generous life insurance and company widow's pension scheme.

Christ You could afford KIDS?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I used to fix the neighbours broken toys and keep em.

They ran a pub. They had a car as well. I envied them.

We did play with boxes a lot. Mainly big supermarket packing boxes.

The hours I spent playing card games...does not exceed the time kids spend playing computer games...

And the hours I spent reading does not exceed the time kids spend watching TV..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

They don't, because they don't really exist in Western Europe.

We have to import them. And then they aren't poor any more, which they find so offensive they start trying to blow everything up, including themselves.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Toxteth?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

confiscate the wagons and send em back to Ireland.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Last time I looked that wasn't in "this country".

counts, show that 1,768 people were sleeping rough on any given night in England"

Add on 638 for Scotland and Wales = 2406.

That's 0.0038374% of the population. As near none as makes no difference.

Reply to
Huge

Referee! (Foreman?) He asked for shanty towns, rubbish and starving beggars. Now he wants them to be poor as well.

Besides, they've occupied land alongside the authorised travellers site (built on Hackney Marshes at a cost of nearly £400,000 a plot and in the opinion of many unlawfully). So they can argue that they are poor

*relative* to the other travellers and these days that's how poverty's defined 'innit?

Mind you, there's good news in the latest North Atlantic credit crisis for the promise to end child poverty by 2020. Poverty's defined as less than 60% of median income. So the more people who lose their jobs/pensions/savings the lower the median and the fewer people living in poverty. Simples?

Reply to
Robin

Its like affordable housing. Stop credit, house prices crash, and still no-one can afford them unless they have actually done something that means they earned some money.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember tony sayer saying something like:

She can request credit transfer from your phone; at least that works with O2, dunno about others.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "harryagain" saying something like:

Aha, the real Harry the closet fascist/right-wing loon reveals himself. I suspected as much.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

And I suspect that in most cases, the root causes are more than mere poverty.

Reply to
djc

I remember going through there just after the riots.. I couldn't believe such places existed like that. I think that most anyone who was living there or had nowhere else to go would have blown it off the face of the earth if they had the means to do so;!..

So who's fault, was that the local authority government denizens of the locality ?.. just who?..

Reply to
tony sayer

In message , Huge writes

Cost? They don't *buy* 'em ...

News

system, so the plate could be read.

Reply to
John Williamson

Precisely.

Reply to
Huge

The median will only fall if some of those whose income is currently above it see their incomes fall below it. But if your income falls from 70% to 50% of median you then become classed as poor.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Well yes, wouldn't it take a pretty bizarre mix of people losing their jobs/pensions/savings for the all households median not to fall, bearing in mind the way the FRS counts benefits in income BHC?

Reply to
Robin

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember News saying something like:

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon