[OT] reversible USB cables.

On 27/01/2017 14:38, Bob Eager wrote:

Giving them names does not make them compatible. Also, as we are talking of names what is the one that is basically square with the top 2 corners rounded, this is what my Toshiba DD requires?
On 27/01/2017 16:00, Broadback wrote:

usb type b at a guess, most printers use that connector. I think all the first USB devices were supposed to use that and all computers type A.
On Friday, January 27, 2017 at 4:28:10 PM UTC, dennis@home wrote:

Does anyone know if connecting a micro USB from my Android phone to the micro USB on my TomTom, to copy route data files (.GPX), would work?
I ask as I was told connecting a USB PC to a laptop would fry one or both.
simon mitchelmore wrote:

Perhaps, using an OTG cable, if one or other device (more likely with the phone) supports host mode.

It shouldn't be possible to buy the USB A to A cable that would be required, but they do exist, it's not going to fry anything, but it's not going to do anything useful.
On 27/01/2017 17:04, Andy Burns wrote:

I am using an A to A cable ATM. One end connects to my docking station and the other to my weather station.
I also have a hdd enclosure that uses an A to A USB 3 cable.

I can understand why you'd want a smaller connector on a phone or whatever - but why on a printer?
--
*If a thing is worth doing, wouldn't it have been done already?

Dave Plowman wrote:

It's not different to be smaller, it's different to be unmistakably "the other end"

But why?
--
*If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular? *

Dave Plowman wrote:

Because (before OTG came along) USB devices were either host or device, having a different connector for each means people wouldn't try to connect two hosts together, or two devices together.
On 28/01/2017 08:06, Andy Burns wrote:

So what do OTG adapters do that's so special? Don't they just connect the terminals together is a particular way?
--
Max Demian

Max Demian wrote:

They have a 5th pin used to sense if it's connected to a USB host, or a USB device and can swap the master/slave roles, and also can deliver power instead of accepting power.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_On-The-Go

No.

So an OTG adapter may or may not convert a mini/micro USB socket on a tablet to a host? (It does on two tablets I've tried.) What about PictBridge? What if I plugged a USB stick into the PictBridge socket on my (ancient) printer? (Probably nothing.)
--
Max Demian

Yes, can be either mini or micro. Its essentially the protocol for the negotiation of master/slave, not the physical connector.

Its different again, but does use USB connectors. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PictBridge

That would normally allow you to select what photos on it to print.

Is type B smaller? - it justs look a bit more robust.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Bob Eager wrote:

Grudgingly, I'd agree, but too "closed"

Though USB type C is not hermaphroditic.
On 27/01/2017 12:34, dennis@home wrote:

That is the USB type C connector which is reversible. It is used on the newish Nexus pixel tablet.
--
Old Codger
e-mail use reply to field
Old Codger wrote:

No, It's not a USB-C connector, those don't have any "locking tangs" and are slightly wider.
On 29/01/2017 21:46, Old Codger wrote:

No it isn't, its a USB type A and a micro usb, both reversible.
You can plug one end into any old USB port on a computer and the other into stuff like android phones from 5 years ago. Mine is used in my hudl and Z3.