OT - Recycling gone mad

Anything like that can be left on a wall near the shops, as if you've forgotten to put it in the car. Someone will soon steal it.

I had a case of 12 bottles of beer that were not of the best quality (it was a trial run by a brewery owner friend). I left the case on a seat at a viewpoint that I pass regularly. It disappeared very quickly.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Why not just put it in the dustbin?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

S'what I do.

Reply to
Huge

Reply to
Huge

We've got to get rid of stuff somewhere. If the council make it unecessarily difficult (paint is one that our local tip won't take, despite it being water based), we put it in a bag of general rubbish (including some used nappies is a good bet) and throw it in the general waste hatch.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

How can they be the wrong sort of knobs?

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

The current scale of fly tipping that I see. If it is as bad now as it is, and it is a constant menace, then charging more for refuse disposal will see people do whatever they can to reduce their bills.

I regularly stop fly tippers around the part of Hampshire where I live. Most of them have driven from towns with large, free, council dumping sites and look completely confused when I point out that they drove six miles into the country to dump something that they could have dropped off much closer to home. All of them are enraged that I dare to tell them to stop what they are doing, put it back in their car and drive back to the dump. I even carry handbill maps showing them where to dump their crap.

All of them, so far, have been middle-class pillar of society types driving cars no more than five years old. They are, therefore, in my estimation representative of what the majority will do if they are asked to pay for refuse disposal.

I've stopped a couple of builders dumping their trade waste. That can get nasty, and it's fairly clear that most of them just go somewhere else to dump their crap which is why I'm considering setting up covert cameras.

The US isn't the UK and the Brits are Californians.

They used to have a student day when I was in Germany, Wednesday I think. Leave your recycling on the street and by morning the student pixies would have taken it away.

Reply to
Steve Firth

*Bow*

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I don't blame you. The more stupid rules there are the more people will circumvent them. And it is perfectly moral to do so because a citizen is entitled to react to injustice.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I did that with a half tin of paint, but didn't check that the lid was secure, ending up with the bottom of the wheelie-bin internally painted in a sort of brick-red :-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

I remember when Sutton Council in London actually had a 6 monthy "skip on the roadside" rota. A skip would appear for the use of anyone within dragging distance. This was 1998 ish.

Then it stopped. Then the flytipping started,

Reply to
Tim Watts

Mmmm, I see. Not quite sure how we engender an attitude change here, then. As a small boy I was always taught to take my rubbish home after e.g. a picnic. That was in the 50s when there were no "picnic sites" etc.

This is definitely a problem over here, although I've never observed it at first hand (except once when we were camping in Scotland when I was a kid. Glaswegians throwing their old tin cans onto a pile).

Do you follow any of these cases up? Is there somewhere to report them?

Councils seem to report that people do well splitting waste into recycling and general waste, so I'm not sure where this "it's OK to flytip" attitude is coming from.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Living in a village away from the local tips we get a dust cart and a skip twice a year, they park up for a couple of hours in various spots around the village. It is well publicised in advance and is a great help. The more tea, coffee and biscuits they are offered the closer they park. For the last 5 years or so they have parked directly outside my house, well worth the investment in tea bags......

Reply to
Bill

And a cost analysis of that vs collecting flytipping residue 4+ times a year in the village environs would be interesting, given flytipping is labour intensive to clear up compared to parking a wagon and drinking tea while people fill it.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Tim Streater wrote: [snip]

Where someone refuses to be decent and insists on dumping I will do what I can to take vehicle numbers and report them to the local council. Sadly dumping on private land becomes an issue for the landowner to resolve. I've never had any follow up and I've not been asked to be a witness in court, so I think the cases are not prosecuted.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Wouldn't it be better to report it to the Police? The council have no powers of arrest, charge etc, they just have to clean up the mess (on the public highway). If the council mount their own survalence they do so with the Police and it is the Police that perform the arrests etc.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In message , at

15:24:18 on Wed, 15 Feb 2012, Dave Liquorice remarked:

They do it themselves, hence the current kerfuffle about whether they should involve a magistrate when applying to reverse-DQ on the phone number painted on the side of the van seen doing the fly tipping.

Reply to
Roland Perry

Why not just phone the number and when they answer "Hello dumpit and scarper" check with normal-DQ whether that checks out with the number they had to start with?

Reply to
Andy Burns

In message , at

18:56:40 on Thu, 16 Feb 2012, Andy Burns remarked:

DQ doesn't typically list mobile numbers (and if they did, almost all would be in the name of a person), nor do most people answer their phone with a clear name.

Reply to
Roland Perry