OT - recommend a 70/30 fridge freezer? - long

We are trying to choose a new fridge/freezer for our new kitchen. The only DIY component is that we are sourcing some appliances ourselves. Howdens offer their own brand (Lamona) or Bosch (although they don't give a model number). The Lamona 70/30 has poor capacity; the Bosch is much larger.
Which? is about as useful as a chocolate teapot as it has very few items reviewed, and most of those are old. Their best buys are over 1k. However it did sound a warning over Bosch fridge/freezers which (also according to the very good Bosch website) have poor freezing capability and poor cold retention in a power cut.
So no Lamona and no Bosch. How to chose an alternative?
We had a look round Comet which is normally good for viewing appliances but they only show a couple of built in. B&Q have one in their kitchen displays. Generally the big electrical shops don't seem to display built in fidge/freezers; presumably free standing are easier to display and most people get their built ins as part of the kitchen from the kitchen supplier.
The new range of Bosch fridge/freezers seem very good spec., expensive, not generally available online. Possibly so new they aren't in stock anywhere yet.
The main contenders for supply are appliancesdirect and applinacesonline but they don't seeem to offer a good detailed product selection tool. Something where you can say 70l freezer, 210l fridge, 4+kg fresh food frozen in 24 hours, 20+ hours remain frozen in power cut.
I am wading through loads of online bumph (Zanussi gets some good ratings but the website is crap for comparing models).
The biggest problem I am finding is locating the model year of an item. The clues tend to be that for old ones you find them more in stores (BHS, Boots etc.), really old ones you mainly get Goggle hits for spares, newer ones you find in appliancesdirect and appliancesonline, and really new ones you can't locate at all.
It is amazingly frustrating to think you have found the right model then find it is no longer generaqlly available.
Anyway, rant mostly over, does anyone have a recommendation for a 70/30 fridge freezer or a reliable resource for selecting a model? A recommendation for a brand would be a good starting point.
I am losing the will to live after two days solid searching.
Cheers
Dave R
[Not even bunny]
David WE Roberts wrote:

I am very happy with the Miele KFN 8992 SD. As this is now 4 years old, I guess that the models will have changed, but it is well-made, and the interior arrangement works well for me.
Not cheap, but at the time it gave by far the best capacity for a 600 mm wide appliance.
About the only negative point is that, being 2000 mm high, the back of the top shelf is tricky to reach, unless you are tall (which I am).
Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
snipped-for-privacy@cdixon.me.uk

No longer seems to be on sale via t'Internet. Lookd at the current Miele models on the John Lewis website and they show two models with similar numbers, the same listed spec., but 300 difference in price. Not tested by Which? I am interested that you found a 2 metre high fridge/freezer - the tallest now seem to be around 1.772m.
[Not even bunny]
David WE Roberts wrote:

http://www.miele.co.uk/KFN12924-SD-1-Fridge-Freezer-925 /
This looks very similar to mine.
The "dynamic cooling" i.e. a circulating fan in the fridge, works very well, and I have never had my salad freeze, which can be a real problem.
Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
snipped-for-privacy@cdixon.me.uk
On Tuesday, October 23, 2012 2:47:48 PM UTC+1, Chris J Dixon wrote:

Wonder if I need that as I keep my beer in the salad tray at the bottom.

We bought a 700mm-wide Beko. The extra width all all gain and this model came with a twistable ice-tray, made my day.
--
Tim

Was this built in? We are currently going with a 600mm unit to house the fridge/freezer.
[Not even bunny]
David WE Roberts wrote:

As I said a day or two ago, when we were re-doing our kitchen, we initially contemplated a built-in fridge freezer. The overall dimensions were similar to the freestanding one that we were replacing, but the capacity figures were so much lower, that initially I did not believe them. I checked further and it was simply the greatly increased thickness of insulation in modern appliances.
We were so nearly caught out, but eventually went for a 2 m high Miele, with which we are very pleased. A substantial piece of work, the interior arrangement seems to accommodate all we need with ease. Although this is not a cheap fridge, it came in significantly less expensive than a built-in plus housing.
Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
snipped-for-privacy@cdixon.me.uk

Bugger - checked back and although I mentioned built in several times I wasn't specific enough up front. We have decided that the all-built-in look is worth the trade off of lower fridge/freezer capacity. You had me interested in the Miele until I realised it was free standing.
[Not even bunny]

No - no way, in fact. We have a built-in Bosch d/w and it's crap. Further, we got the FF before the space in the Utility room that it is now occupying, was ready.
We particularly wanted one that split the fridge and freezer spaces 50/50, and I was *so* happy to see it had the extremely useful ice-tray.
We looked at all the so-called American models with the stupid space-wasting built-in ice machines and double doors with no useable space in them rant rant ...
--
Tim

On Tue, 23 Oct 2012 18:36:35 +0100, Tim Streater wrote:

Yes, we have one of those, which replaced the 35 year old one following a compressor demise a couple of months ago. I'll count myself lucky if it lasts five years - all new FF's (at least on this side of the Pond) seem to be engineered to die as quickly as possible.
TBH I've not found the side-by-side, double-door construction to be too much of a pain yet (and it is nice that someone can be peering in the fridge without a huge door blocking the way past for everyone else).
I've not even tried the ice maker yet; it's waiting until I re-do the basement plumbing in the spring and can get a convenient line run over to beneath where the fridge lives.
cheers
Jules
Tim Streater wrote:

One of those was in a house I bought. I was initially impressed but ended up hating it. One attraction was the ice maker but the previous owners hadn't plumbed it in and I didn't do it either. I found out why they didn't take it with them: it was heavy and needed three of us to move it. We had to take the doors off to get it through the kitchen door. Taking the doors off wasn't trivial because of connection to the ice maker.
It was like a reverse tardis, massive outside and tiny inside. The walls seemed four times as thick as on a European model. The compressor seemed to run all day and night. It was noisy. The freezer had no trays to retain cold air, only shelves so each time you opened the door, all the cold air was replaced with warm air. I get the impression space efficiency and energy efficiency aren't so important in the American market as they are in Europe.
I was pleased to get rid of it. The Bosch that replaced it had the same internal volume but took up much less space. The compressor was very quite and ran much less often.
On Thu, 25 Oct 2012 02:03:19 -0700, metric_trade wrote:

I was rather amazed when ours was delivered that two blokes just carried it in, with the assistance of harnesses and straps slung under the machine.

Yeah, ours actually has less space in it than the 35 year old one that it replaced, despite being a few inches taller. So far it doesn't seem to be any more energy efficient, either, although it's hard to be certain. I suppose the old one probably used nasty fluids which did a better job but that are now banned...

Indeed - and it's going to be interesting to see if a large turkey or whatnot will even fit in there.

Space certainly isn't an issue; most homes around here are quite large. Energy efficiency is one of those hot topics here these days, but I believe there was some scandal with energy star ratings a few years ago and the system's a bit of a joke, so it's hard to know how good anything really is (particulalry compared to global models)
cheers
Jules

Fortunately it's not compulsory to buy what you don't want. We have one and I don't regret our purchase in the slightest. A big freezer only encourages hoarding and the ice maker is used on an almost daily basis.
Tim
In article <1639458750372840716.343430timdownie2003-nospampleaseyahoo.co.uk@reader8 0.eternal-september.org>,

By that logic you would have no freezer at all. SWMBO grows veg and then freezes it into portions for winter use.
Ice is only needed in hot weather. Our actual Beko model is discontinued but appears to have been replaced by this:
<http://www.beko.co.uk/Item/CF7914AP
which is what we'd get if we were in the market today. It also has the twist/serve ice device, perfectly adequate.
--
Tim

Don't know whether this will help in your case but, brandwise, we've been happy with out Bosch frost-free which is well into its second decade (although frost-free seem to get a rough ride in these parts).
Regarding suppliers, I was looking for an oven for a relative recently and narrowed it down to these two, ultimately buying from the latter (which is apparently part of the Co-Op). Service and price were good:
http://www.sonicdirect.co.uk /
http://www.electrical123.com /

John Lewis might be able to give quality help, after all they claim to have sales staff who're knowledgeable on things rather than just box shifters.

in wrote:

Many model identifications are unique to certain retailers. The difference in the models my be very minor (or not)
David WE Roberts wrote:

Where does it say that? Bosch ranked in the middle on their "Fridge freezer Which? reliability index". It ranked second top for satisfaction on "Fridge-freezers owners' views"
Are you looking for built-in (please say no)?
On Tue, 23 Oct 2012 04:35:02 -0700 (PDT), metric snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Last Bosch I saw didn't even get much beyond an overnight 'keep upright' stage on a kitchen floor before being plugged in. The light came on, but that is all, nothing else. That the plonkers at Which rate them highly doesn't really surprise me.