OT Question about cycle races on satellite

I use freesat for my television. I can put additional low noise blocks on the dish to pick up other satellites. I would like to watch live cycle races on the Belgian, French and other channels, but I have no idea which satellite and channels are best to try, despite some research. Is there anyone out there who has done it and can give me some information, or can suggest a source of data? I'll be happy to put the information on a page on my web site for others to use, provided of course I'm not breaking any laws by so doing!
Peter Scott
Peter Scott wrote:

If you find what channels you want, the links from here will show you which are available on which satellite
http://www.lyngsat.com/europe.html
19.2E and 13.0E seem popular choices in addition to the usual 28.2E, hopefully you've got something larger than a zone1 minidish?

Don't bother with your existing Sky dish its only cable of receiving Sky for the others and they are there and free, get at least a 60 cm dish and a dual LNB called a Monoblock and then try ASTRA 19 east and Hotbird at 13 east..
French TV s on the Atlantic bird sat at 5 west a bit of a lone one its on a separate dish for that one!.
If you can find an old analogue sat receiver they still transmit in the clear !...
--
Tony Sayer

Rotators are quite cheap these days, and most receivers (other than perhaps Sky ones) will control them.
--
*Few women admit their age; fewer men act it.

Just get yourself a BB connection and this:
http://www.cycling.tv/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID 300&SPID555&SPSID4955
tim
On 18/04/2011 17:46, Peter Scott wrote:

It is the kind of thing that Eurosport on 19.2E might cover. Sadly, the analogue signal with its English sound track won't be there for much longer. Soon there will just be the digital version which only carries the German soundtrack.
You might get more info from the digitalspy Non platform specific satellite TV forum.
The www.satcure.co.uk has info on adding additional LNBs
--
Michael Chare

They're going to have cycle races round satellites? Good, that'll stop 'em cluttering up the public roads here on Earth. I suggest the Moon myself, that'll be big enough.
--
Tim

On 18/04/2011 17:46, Peter Scott wrote:

Have a go on:
uk.tech.digital-tv
--
Cheers,

John.

On 19/04/2011 15:23, John Rumm wrote:

Thanks for the helpful replies. Lots to mull over. I don't want a rotator as I use a multiswitch with multiple room sockets. The dish is 85 cm. Certainly looks as though I should be able to find what I want. I think probably one or more single lnbs aimed at the other sats with a single downfeed from each into one room. The rest of the family does not share my love of cycling, along with Tim Streater it seems. I have found the German Eurosport on the satellite list but don't speak enough German to make sense of it. Roll on babel fish!
Peter Scott
Peter Scott wrote:

Wouldn't that also mean you couldn't use multiple LNBFs and a Diseqc switch either?

I think that'll be large enough!

OK, doing it that way won't upset the multiswitch

Two reasons:
1) About 30 years ago, driving from Geneva to the UK, I suddenly came up against a Police barrier. "Tour de France", the bloke said. That cost me a four-hour detour and I was not amused.
2) Every time I see the finish of a cycle race, or a cross-country ski race, or a marathon, or the 100 metres, or a swimming competition, I think to myself "Hang on, is this live or is it a replay of something from last year?" Hard to tell the difference [1]. The notion that someone shaved 0.01 sec off someone else's record time is hardly riveting.
I don't really object if people want to race on bicycles, just not on a public road near me.
[1] I can tell the difference between a swimming race and a cross-country ski race, however.
--
Tim

In England they do it differently. The roads are only closed for half an hour or so, with a string of motor-bikes moving ahead of the bike riders and blocking off side roads only as long as needed.

I know what you mean. I'm more a sport doer than a watcher. Watching it is usually b**ls-achingly dull. Apart from football that is. But I cycle a lot and can really sympathise with the riders. I know exactly how it feels to do what they do, though of course my performance is pathetic compared to them. That said I also run and don't feel the same about that.

See above. Once a year for 30 minutes with plenty of notice is probably not too much of a burden.

Ah but!, your not a Frenchman, they take the olde bike race very seriously over there;!...

--
Tony Sayer