OT (possibly) Garrard turntable DIY repair

We've got a Garrard GT35P-1 belt drive turntable from the late '70s which I use very occasionally, but it automatically lifts off long before it reaches the run-out groove of the record (around 2 tracks before). I only have the original manual for how to unpack and connect it etc. Does anyone have any experience of taking one of these apart and how the mechanism works. There is no way to disable the function via a switch. I don't think it has an 'audiophile' following but it is of some use to me so I would rather fix it with a touch of a soldering iron, blast of air, or whatever it needs.

Cheers

James

Reply to
Part Timer

Dunno about that model, but slightly earlier models had a simple mechanical trip mechanism with a small metal 'thing' on a pivot. If that got stuck, it might explain the symptoms.

Access was easy; remove the turntable. Probably just remove the spindle (if it pulls out), and there's probably a circlip under the rubber mat.

Once the turn=table is off, you should see the mechanism and it should be obvious. Could be 'foreign matter' in there too.

Of course, yours might be different and it's all underneath!

Reply to
Bob Eager

GT35? Hmm

Plenty of manuals for sale..but none free

What NORMALLY happens is that as the arm swings across at a given point it picks up a peg and flicks onto a cam that lifts the arm. From memory MOST of these are a bit sloppy and need to be kept free by dissolving old grease, re-oiling and cheacking any pingfuckit type springs that are there to control the float.

I'd simply remove the needle from the cartridge first - that's the bit you can damage - and then try and separate the base plate from the shell as it were.

I suspect that you will need to lift the platter off and there will be screws underneath.

Then it will be fairly obvious how it all works I suspect.

At least its not some plasticky clip once never come apart again thing. Nice turntable: Worth fixing

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

how it works should be self explanatory once u get to it

Reply to
NT

Like it!

Reply to
Part Timer

Positive, went downstairs to check again.

Always the same story isn't it?

It has a twist and lock removable headshell so will remove it easily.

Will give it a go in the next month when I have an afternoon free.

I wasn't planning to throw it. Amongst other features it has a nice aluminium platter with 50 and 60Hz strobe reflectors for tweaking 33 and

45rpm. The exterior needs a good clean to get the fingerprint grime off and it will look better.
Reply to
Part Timer

It happens that Part Timer formulated :

There is usually an adjuster screw under the arm pivot, which sets the point of lifting the arm off the record. It should be fairly easy to find it.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

That's fine for the twice a day or so when the mains is bang on frequency. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Followup (as promised):

Finally got the time to have a look at the turntable today. I removed the headshell, rubber mat and aluminium platter, turned it upside down (propped on a large dictionary either side). Removed 8 screws from around the edges after taking photos. Nothing untoward inside the player but quite a bit of dust fell out. All the components hang from the top of the inside. I set it up to test - it played the full side. I put the base back on the tested it again. It lifted off early! I worked out that I could lift the tonearm using the lever, nudge it over toward the middle of the record and feel a slight click. I then moved it back to the resting position. At the next switch on it lifted on its own, moved to the right past the resting position, then parked again. Maybe that was some sort of recalibration exercise after my manipulation by hand, but maybe it's cured for now.

Reply to
Part Timer

Yes, Garrad did use this cunning method, though I do not remember this model. It looked a bit like it was all driven by a crown wheel. Used to stretch belts till they fell off though.. grin.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I once saw a rather pointless mod for a strobe that drove it from an oscillator synchronised to a crystal instead of the mains. Trouuble was the turntable was underpowered and drifted a lot, bit pointless really.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff