OT: Ponchos?

Hi all,

When we go dog walking I typically carry a daysack containing both our waterproof jackets and other bits. [1]

My jacket is 100% waterproof but quite heavy (like a h/d Pack-a-mac) and hers reasonably water resistant but not proof.

So, as in this weather we only really carry them (and a small folding brolly) 'in case' [2], I was wondering if a couple of Poncho type things might be more packable, lighter and more versatile (emergency downpour, groundsheet, cover the rucksack, covering wet benches to sit on etc)?

Looking around I see you can get stuff ranging from disposable / festival things to stuff that looks like it's made out of lorry tarp but I wondered if there were any 'robust but lightweight and very waterproof' bargains to be had in 'Army Surplus' these days (and if anyone here had experience of such)?

Most of the old fashioned / genuine Army Surplus shops seem to be gone these days and the ones left seem to mainly stock new / std retail stuff?

At 6'2" I need something that works out reasonably long or my legs would get wet, similar with arm lengths. She's only 5'6" so something that comes in 'sizes' would also be handy.

Might it be something the coarse fishermen here might use but likely to be expensive is sold for such?

That said, we don't mind spending a bit of money on something that fits the bill. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

[1] Including a small first aid kit that came in handy for a lady who got caught up with her cycling partner and came a cropper, putting her hands out to protect head in the fall with the typical consequences (gravel path). ;-(

I was able to furnish her with some tissues, water and a range of plasters to help patch her hands (mainly) up. Thanks to Covid they were carrying their own sanitiser. I did recommend the use of gloves when cycling but it turns out this was an impromptu ride. ;-(

[2] We have been out in some pretty heavy rain and if it happens mid walk we can easily still be 1+ hours away from home.
Reply to
T i m

There are suppliers of lightweight, quick drying outdoor clothing like Rohan (not cheap).

Reply to
Andrew

whatever you buy I am sure you will look sweet tim ....

Reply to
Jim GM4 DHJ ...

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

How did you find them in use mate? ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Pretty useless, the sheep hear me creeping up on them.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Keeps the blood off you though, when you do catch them?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

A real army ponchos have eyelets along the edges so it can be tied with cord to handy supports to make a basha. You knot the hood or lash it tight so you don't have hole in the middle of your basha's roof. B-)

ive-green

Other suppliers about but the few I looked at were either no longer stocked or out of stock...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Not something we plan to do but because we do a range of outdoory things, it might be nice to have that in the background (like boating).

Understood. ;-)

That was what I was finding Dave, although there are plenty of new / more modern options, I assumed that most of the may not be quite as durable (or VFM) as genuine Army Surplus options.

That said, I'm also aware that some service personnel would provide their own kit as the issued kit wasn't up to the spec of the other options.

We do have a reasonably sized 'Army Surplus' place fairly local but every time we go there it looks more like a std / commercial retail outlet. I might drop them a line re the 58 Pattern Poncho and see what they say.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

If you can fit an XXL this is cheap

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I was thinking there must be something better - but I'm shocked to realise the ponchos we had in cadets at school were the WW2 design, not the 1958 upgrade!

On the other hand we had WW2 rifles too...

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Might pick one of these or previous models up on eBay in used condition. I have one but it hasnt been used for years, it works well in windy conditions but they do not seem popular in the UK

Reply to
Robert

Thanks for that mate.

I think the eBay seller was a bit hopeful referencing the rrp, £38 on Amazon: ;-)

Got good reviews there but it looks like about twice the weight of the Helikon Tex I picked up today (I think it's this):

I swapped it for my (very) waterproof coat in my rucksack and it made a big difference to the weight and bulk. It felt quite empty by comparison!

I opened it out on the dog walk and it would make a reasonable size groundsheet / picnic mat / emergency tarp.

I think the focus on weight / size was important and this seems to fit the bill.

Time will tell how waterproof / hardwearing it is.

I think I'll pick up some light paracord just in case I fancy trying it (them, they join together) as sunshade / storm shelter. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

It's true you don't seem to see them in use very much but then I'm not sure how many people do the sort of things here where they might be best suited, or at least not where most people would see?

For us it was when rowing or outboarding as you still have full movement and have some protection for you legs, whilst allowing reasonable ventilation (few 'breathable' fabrics can realistically keep up with any reasonable level of activity, not without a wicking buffer layer in-between etc.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I doubt if his c*ck's THAT big.

Reply to
Gordon Bennet

You *doubt* eh ...

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

They are in fact very practical for everyday use in "wet" areas, quick to put on and cover your top, legs and shopping bags with little condensation. I just didnt want to stand out too much !

Reply to
Robert

Yeah, something I always see on war films in the jungle when it's tipping it down. I guess one (or a good one) would keep you, your Bergen and firearms fairly dry.

Yeah.

That's not something I've *ever* been bothered about, especially when it comes to clothing. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m