OT: Poll - which antivirus software?

I assumed they were false positives since not even the avira web site listed them. I'm not sure what you are supposed to do if an AV product shows a warning for "Blibble.Blobble.W32.XP" when there is no information anywhere on the said "virus". (Note made up virus name).

Reply to
Mark

As do most these days...

Indeed - well MS now rather than sysinternals since they bought them (shame!)

You were done! ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

What's the "root-kit" stuff all about - as it seems to be one of the few reasons for shelling out my hard-earned rather than using the freebie version, do I need it?!

The other one is the IM screening thing, as my kids do use IM and I'm certainly concerned about stuff getting through that way. Am I nuts to even consider the free AVg for their PC? Without the screening module in place though, why wouldn't/doesn't the free AVG pick up any IM-borne nasties anyway, as soon as they try to do something... nasty?

David

Reply to
Lobster

Lobster gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

A rootkit is malicious software which replaces the base operating system files with modified versions incorporating some kind of malware, effectively hiding the malware within the normal system processes.

is one of the areas where the default MS security setup really sucks

- because anything being run as a normal user shouldn't have the ability to change any of the base OS files. But, since Windows defaults to users being administrators, they do.

If you routinely log on as a user with admin privileges, then you may need anti-rootkit protection. But there's a much better way to ensure you don't need it.

Reply to
Adrian

A root kit is a bit of malware that attempts to infect the OS at a low level. It will often patch system calls and utility programs to withhold information that they may otherwise normally give you. For example concealing the presence of files or directories, system processes etc. Changing the values returned from system calls so that the presense of the malware is hidden. This can impede the AV scanner from even seeing and opening the dodgy files in the first place.

The most famous example was released into the wild (intentionally) by Sony BMG:

The other one is the IM screening thing, as my kids do use IM and I'm

There s a fair chance that a malicious file would be detected by the on access scanning when it is written to the hard drive. However this may be prevented by compression/encryption.

Reply to
John Rumm

Buy a Mac.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Not on my kids' PC it doesn't!

Thanks David

Reply to
Lobster

Lobster gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Windows still does. The fact you've changed that default is a different matter...

Reply to
Adrian

"Other Mac OS X Rootkits are; osxrk, Togroot and WeaponX, all of which probably can still be found at

were around in 2005 so don't believe anyone that says Macs are safe. They may be safer if hackers don't bother but if they decide to attack macs things will be different. They are just as vulnerable as windows PCs if someone has physical access to them BTW.

Reply to
dennis

Seven year old windows does.. vista and seven don't. If I said Macs did it would be as true as your statement as 7 year old Mac OS defaulted to admin too.

Reply to
dennis

In message on Sat,

14 Mar 2009, Jon wrote

I'm quite surprised to see no other recommendations for ESET's NOD32 so I will add my vote for it. I've used it on four or five machines for several years now without any problems - it has an excellent track record for detecting real viruses. and is interesting reading.

Colin

Reply to
Colin Brook

"dennis@home" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Vista most certainly does. OK, so you have to click a (massively over- frequently displayed) "Oooh, are you _sure_?" dialogue - but that can be (and frequently is) turned off. In 7, it can even be turned off by malware with no notification to the user.

Adrian

palatable by allowing certain applications to make changes to the OS without first prompting the user for permission."

It is a beta so who knows what the final will allow.

There is a compromise between security and usability. Unix is biased towards security, windows to usability. Most users want usability as can be seen by the protests about UAC which actually has very little day to day impact.

Reply to
dennis

"dennis@home" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

They've already said they have no plans to change it.

You say that like it's a bad thing?

Because they don't understand the severity of the compromise they're making.

Reply to
Adrian

If it is a security problem they will fix it.

Bad? I expressed no preference.

Reply to
dennis

"dennis@home" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Oh, the touching naivety...

Reply to
Adrian

At the risk of starting a war or a rant. The best antivirus software is Fedora, Ubuntu or OS X. The latter only tends to run well on rather expensive hardware.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

In message , Adrian writes

You're not saying that dennis could possibly be wrong, are you ?

perish the thought

Reply to
geoff

And can hold out for nearly two whole minutes:

John Rumm

In simple terms, if you imagine a timeline from booting the computer to looking at the desktop, a rootkit is a program that loads "before" Windows.

The problem is that Windows can only see stuff loaded BY or AFTER Windows, so the rootkit can stay safely tucked away doing god knows what without you being able to find out reliably that it even exists...

Reply to
Colin Wilson